Bandsaw suggestions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

My small bandsaw just died. I need some advice on replacing it. I didn't mind the small size too much but it killed me every time I cut because the blade would twist and made non-perpendicular cuts. It was a .25" blade.

I don't need a bandsaw that would make Godzilla cringe with fear. I am not into harvesting small forests. I would like to be able to cut up to 4" boards or branches. Any suggestions or hints on what to look for? Anything to avoid?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Check Grizzly bandsaws

G0555...$425.00 plus $65.00 S&H
G0580...$325.00 plus $65.00 S&H

I've read tons of good review on both....some are members here. You may also consider getting the riser block ($57.95) for these to increase the vertical capacity from 6" to 12"

alamocdc

I (and others) have the Harbor Freight 14" variable speed (belt and pulleys) and I'm very happy with it. It often goes on sale for $209... regular price $329 IIRC.

mikes pens

I just purchased this to cut blanks. It goes through those little 3/4 inch blanks like butter.

2006126233217_big_LT-37A.jpg

Mike[;)]

Dario

Originally posted by mikes pens
<br />I just purchased this to cut blanks. It goes through those little 3/4 inch blanks like butter.

Mike[;)]

Mike, I think this is the one he referred to as the bandsaw that will make Godzilla cringe. [;)]

TomServo

I have heard very good things about the Hitachi that's been at lowe's - 12" saw and some guys have gotten them on clearance as low as $99 - you can order them in at $199. 1/2hp(I think), riser block-able for 12" of height. and I think it'll take up to a 3/4" blade. All big chunky cast irony goodness too.

MOTOR
Power source ........................ 120 V, AC, 60 HZ, 7AMPS.
Speeds Low .......................... 1410 F.P.M
(Feet per minute)
High ......................... 2600 F.P.M
Low .......................... 1410 F.P.M
Horsepower .......................... 1HP(Max. Developed)
DRIVE BELT A 26
Cutting Capacity
Throat .................................... 12â€
Height .................................... 5â€
Blade
Width ..................................... 1/8â€, 1/4â€, 3/8â€, 1/2â€
Length ................................... 80â€
Table
Size ........................................ 13†x 13â€
Tilt .......................................... 0° Left â€"â€" 45° Right
DUST COLLECTION....................... Yes
NET WEIGHT.................................. 145.5 LB (66.0Kg.)

ldimick

Thanks to all. HF, Grizzly and Hitachi all sound like good choices. Laguna is about 2 miles form my office (On the same street) so maybe I'll stop by one day and see if they'll let me look around if I promise not to drool. I'll have to look at that Hitachi.

My old one was a Ryobi and I will not make that mistake again.

alamocdc

Lynn, I forgot to mention that I saw the Fisch (16", IIRC) demonstrated back in March or April and was VERY impressed. If you're looking at throwing ~$800 at a BS, that's the one I'd get. It has the same resaw capabilities as most 21 inchers. http://tinyurl.com/746hp

ldimick

You're not trying to tell that HF has it on sale right now are you? [:0] I just by it on my home form dinner. I guess I'd better go over there tmoorrow morning.[:)]

alamocdc

Sorry, Lynn, but I cannot confirm that. I can't find the local HF flyer I saw it in. I tore the house up looking through my various HF catalogs and did find it for $289 in one of them. Use item #32208-3BXA and from the HF web site down the left side choose "Order from printed catalog". Enter the number above and click the button at the bottom of that window. This window will close and the HF site will adjust to show your shopping cart containing one model 32208 bandsaw for $289. Most HF stores will honor the catalog price. I'm only telling you this in case you want to go this route so you can print the HF shopping cart page and take that to the store (since you don't have my catalog to carry. Of course you could get lucky and they will have it on sale for $209.

thetalbott4

Consider this. Good price and great features. Big table and well made.7" resaw, bearing guides, micro adjust, blade adjust window, ect.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922400000

thetalbott4

It will cut 7" thick material. When I replace my 10" delta, that is the one I'm going for. The power is plenty also. There are the power junkies who say otherwise, but my 10" blandsaw will cut 6+" thick material and with a quality blade will go right through it and it doesnt have the horsepower that the Craftsman does.I dont do any resaw stuff that requires more than that. It goes on sale regularly for $249 i believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom