Bandsaw Blade Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I need some help choosing a new bandsaw blade. I have a 10" Rikon saw and use it for cutting blanks, but want to get into segmenting. I'm looking at Timber Wolf Blades, and I think I want either a 3/8 or 1/2 and either 4PC, 6PC, or 8RK. Help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NVSB4

You can't go wrong with Timber Wolf, they are some of the best blades for the money.
As for the size and TPI, check their website for best uses. The wider the blade, the straighter the cut, but the more TPI, the smoother the cut.
For segmenting, you should look into a jig of some sort to make any angled cuts accurately.

ghansen4

Thanks Chris. I've heard good things about Timber Wolf so I thought I would give them a try. I've studied their website, and even called and talked to them, but can't narrow it down any further than what I put in my post. So I'm hoping to get some recommendations from some of you that undoubtedly have more experience with this than me. (This is my first time changing the blade.)

MRDucks2

Also check, as some Timber Wolf blades are low tension blades. Can still be used on any saw, but set-up is different. I broke my first one at the weld by setting up like a normal blade. They have instructions on how to set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I like Timber Wolf blades also. They last but as mentioned set up can be tricky especially with the smaller width blades. Unlike most conventional blades they require a lot less tension. Over time you'll figure it out but just be aware of the tension and try different tensions on scrap wood.

MRDucks2

I have actually went with one from Highland Hardware this time on my 14" while I wait to the timber wolf welded back up. I am using variable spacing on both types, though the Highland blade is 1 tooth finer. It appears to to only be hardened on the teeth vs tooth and back like the Timber Wolf I was using. It is 1/3 thinner than the Timber Wolf and much quieter when cutting (something they advertise though it was not a consideration for me). Guaranteed not to have a weld break. So far I like it, will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom