Bandsaw blade recommendations please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Like some of you, I use my bandsaw to cut my blanks to length, after the tubes are glued in. I have always experienced a slight amount of drift in the blade as I cut, despite tensioning the blade. I suspect the problem is that I am using a 1/4" blade. I do have a zero-clearance jig on the bandsaw table.
My drift has not caused any significant issues, as I finalize the length of my blank with Rick Herrell's offset jig (which I REALLY like). However, I would appreciate some advice based upon your experience. What width blade do you recommend? What about the TPI? Manufacturers? Any other thoughts? I have a Jet bandsaw with a riser, so I need a 105" blade.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

3/8" to 1/2" I like a metal cutting blade most of the time. But otherwise I am a lenox guy. Bi-metal, I use tri-metal carbide for resawing

You can ALMOST get away with a 3/4" Laguna ReSaw King on there. I'd suggest upgrading your spring first to be sure you can tension it. We burn through about a blade a week in the shop trimming resin blanks and so far nothing has given the clean cut and durability of the Laguna. There was one blade (we have 6 on hand and send them for sharpening when needed) that I had issues with and they were quick to replace it. So they're not perfect... but the blade is well worth it.

I tried the expensive carbide Lenox and found it too grabby, especially with round stock. The Laguna looks like it should be grabby but basically just goes through everything like a laser. Almost don't need to sand wood I run through it.

I've been using Timber Wolf blades for many years now. There are clear instructions on how to tension them on the back of the package. For rough shaping my knife scales I use a 1/8" blade, for resawing I use a 3/4" blade. They seem to last a long time, I've only had a few actually break on me and they have always left a pretty clean saw edge, little sanding. I've never had to return any of them. I have four sizes in my repertoire, 3/4", 1/2" 1/4" and 1/8". I buy them through Amazon and usually get them when they have a good sale on them. I do know that Woodcraft used to carry them but we don't have any Woodcraft stores in Montana.

@McKenzie Penworks. Where do you have your blades resharpened? I've got some old ones I was going to just throw out but if I can get them resharpened that would be great. Thanks.

MiteyF

You say you're experiencing drift, and that you've tensioned the blade, but have you adjusted the tracking? Have you adjusted the guides? Tensioning is a very minor part of setting up a bandsaw to cut properly. I had a page saved from Popular Woodworking, which apparently is not there anymore. Google something like "how to tune a bandsaw" and go through the steps. It will help immensely.

Warren White

I don't know if what I am experiencing is drift. Perhaps I don't understand drift well enough? If I put a 3/4 X 3/4 blank on the table (which has a stop at right angle to the cut), and am not cutting much off, the blade leaves a cut that is not exactly 90 degrees. The blade isn't stiff enough to hold true to the cut.

I have a tension mark for different size blades on the saw, and I always release the tension when the saw is not in use. My gut feeling is that the blade might track better if it were a bit wider.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I appreciate all of them.

MiteyF

It's not necessarily that your blade isn't "stiff" enough, it's that your blade isn't tracking correctly. In fact, a blade that's TOO tight can also cause issues when cutting, aside from the risk of breaking.

SteveVio

Like some of you, I use my bandsaw to cut my blanks to length, after the tubes are glued in. I have always experienced a slight amount of drift in the blade as I cut, despite tensioning the blade. I suspect the problem is that I am using a 1/4" blade. I do have a zero-clearance jig on the bandsaw table.
My drift has not caused any significant issues, as I finalize the length of my blank with Rick Herrell's offset jig (which I REALLY like). However, I would appreciate some advice based upon your experience. What width blade do you recommend? What about the TPI? Manufacturers? Any other thoughts? I have a Jet bandsaw with a riser, so I need a 105" blade.
AS mentioned above - there are the basic factors to properly set up a bandsaw. Tension is one, but the guides and blade placement on the wheel are also just as important - make sure the deepest part of the gullet on the blade is at the crown on the wheel.
A good sharp blade is also I portent - low quality blades will not do well....learned this the hard way. Timberwolf and Lennox blades are great

also - check out the video by Alex Snodgrass - its a trade show demo he does and goes through proper setting up of a bandsaw

Warren White

I have really enjoyed and appreciated the responses to my query. I "think" my bandsaw is set up properly, but I will go over the procedure again. I have a Carter set of wheels on my bandsaw and rechecking things is always a good idea. I can't remember the brand of my blade, nor can I judge its sharpness.

Thanks again to all!

Top Bottom