Band saw recs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I'm about 90% that I"m going to take the plunge and buy a band saw in the coming months. I want to try segmenting, it'll make life way easier than the hand saw and plastic miterbox I'm currently using (which is woefully inadequate for anything that requires precision), and I want to expand my work from pens--I've got some ideas for some custom boxes, humidors, cutting boards, and knife handles that I want to start making. I've been going back and forth between a tablesaw and a band saw, and I think I've settled on bad saw. Here's why: I don't have the space for a cabinet saw, and I think a jobsite table saw will probably be something that I'll want to replace eventually. Plus, from what I've read, it seems like a good quality band saw will be about as accurate as a jobsite table saw, plus offer a lot of versatility to do things the jobsite TS won't do. And I've got the space for a band saw.

So, here's my question(s): Any recs on a good product? What sorts of things should I be looking for in terms of ensuring accuracy that will rival a jobsite table saw? I'm thinking I'd like to get a 14-inch model, and I've been eyeing the Laguna, Jet, and Rikon models--mostly because those seem like well-respected brands. I personally love my Laguna lathe. But I don't know much what to look for beyond that. Anything else I should consider? This may be the only powersaw I ever buy (if I hit the lotto, I'll buy myself a shop and the Sawstop PCS!). But my hope is that with a decent band saw, combined with a small router and router table down the road, there won't be anything that I can't do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shipsgunner

Eric,
Prices on these things go from Cheap to Brutal and the quality also runs the gambit. My first band saw was an Italian LT-18 from Laguna. It's a 2001 and I still use it today as my one and only...(sounds like Im in lovel... ROFL) I have only needed to replace a capacitor once and it's on my to do list this weekend... so 18 years between repairs or serious maintenance means it was really good quality. Unfortunately, one like it goes for $4200+ in USD. I saw a porter cable 14" at lowes for 298 USD last week but I hardly believe it would be as accurate as a good cabinet saw so you have to pick how deep into the pool you wish to wade and before you are swimming where you want to be...so to speak. Recommend a little more info like budget and precision desired and how much "fiddling" you want to do with a cheap saw before you throw it in the dumpster to buy a better one... "You only cry once when you buy a good tool... you cry every time you break a crappy one and have to replace it..."

Good Luck on your search.

SG

I won't advice on the brand you might purchase but here's my view of BS vs TS. I own both and use both for different things. Making boxes, unless you're going to make them round, require nice tight cuts and each must be precise in length, width and angles on the corners. I use my table saw for this and get nice tight corner joints. Pen blanks I cut to length and width on my TS. Anything that requires exact cuts and tight tolerances I cut on the TS.

My BS I use for separating blanks, top from bottom. Curves for knife scales and other projects all get cut on the BS. You'll need to buy different sized bands for the BS. Rouging wood from stumps or limbs (resawing) all get rough cut on the BS and then trued to size on the TS.

I think my point here is it's a preference but I use both. I would say however, that I use my BS probably more than my TS. But there's a lot of things a BS can do that a TS can't and vice versa. Hope this helps.

I did have a Jet cabinet saw that I loved, it was great and I paid $1,400.00 for it. Had to give it up and go back to my old Sears 1960's model but it works great and I use jigs for box making or picture frame making.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Last month during a sale I bought the Rikon 10-326 and have been very pleased with it. Due to vision problems with my left eye I felt going forward it will be safer than my TS. (Yes, all power tools need to be used with safety first.)

bmachin

Eric,

Full disclosure: I'm not a segmenter (except for a couple of simple segmented bowls which were cut out on a table saw), so you can take this for what it's worth.

Having read Malcolm Tibbetts' book:

His comment on bandsaws is essentially, "expect to do a lot of sanding" which translates to owing a disc sander. That said, he cuts his segments on a sliding miter saw.

In terms of gluable long grain joints for something like a cutting board, you are much more likely to get that from a table saw than a bandsaw, but a hand plane can fix that in a hurry.

If I didn't already have a shop full of stuff. I would probably go with the bandsaw/mitersaw combination--especially if space challenged.

FWIW

Bill

Reactions: DrD

Chippa

youll constantly find new things to do with a bandsaw I only have experience with Rikon's 10 and 14 but both have been great.

The one thing I can recommend is whatever you decide on make sure you order a few blades for whatever you're trying to do. The blades shipped with bandsaws are usually not great.

1shootist

I thought about getting into segmenting for abit but lack the patience.

The link is for a Byrnes tablesaw...a little pricey but would be great for segmenting. A few on here have one and speak highly of the saw. And its rather small so not much room is needed for use or storage.

Its what I was planning on buying but I lost interest in segmenting and moved on to something else.

John Eldeen

I have a small shop as well so I do understand your plight with space. I do have both a TS and BS. My TS is a job sight saw and it is very accurate with that said I use my BS far more then my TS. I purchased the Laguna 14 12 and could not be happier with it's performance. Every time I thought there was a problem with a little research it became evident that the problem was me not the saw. I don't have any experience with other BS as this is the only one I have ever owned and at this rate it my be the only one I ever own. With all said there is no comparison between the cuts the TS (even with the job sight saw) cuts are better and more accurate but, the BS is far more versatile.

jttheclockman

My take is both tools do different things and are designed to. Can you do things on both tools equally well the answer is yes. My go to tool is the tablesaw. It is by far the more useable of the 2 tools for accuracy and versatility. If doing simple things as cutting blanks and some segmenting than any bandsaw will do that. Bandsaws are a great tool for resawing and that is where they shine. Other than that they are just another tool. I highly highly highly recommend stay far away from any bench top bandsaw Not worth the money and aggravation. Buy a full size at least 14" model. I like the Laguna line. Good reviews come through on the Rikon also. Learn how to tune the tool and how to properly use it. Make sure the table is setup so blades can be taken off from the front. This is in case you add a fence with a rail system you do not have to remove rail to take blade off. If you are doing it make sure you get a large motor. I like a 1-1/2HP

MRDucks2

The Rikon 10-326 has met all of my expectations and more for a pretty decent price. But I still use my table saw routinely.

EricRN

Eric,
Prices on these things go from Cheap to Brutal and the quality also runs the gambit. My first band saw was an Italian LT-18 from Laguna. It's a 2001 and I still use it today as my one and only...(sounds like Im in lovel... ROFL) I have only needed to replace a capacitor once and it's on my to do list this weekend... so 18 years between repairs or serious maintenance means it was really good quality. Unfortunately, one like it goes for $4200+ in USD. I saw a porter cable 14" at lowes for 298 USD last week but I hardly believe it would be as accurate as a good cabinet saw so you have to pick how deep into the pool you wish to wade and before you are swimming where you want to be...so to speak. Recommend a little more info like budget and precision desired and how much "fiddling" you want to do with a cheap saw before you throw it in the dumpster to buy a better one... "You only cry once when you buy a good tool... you cry every time you break a crappy one and have to replace it..."

Good Luck on your search.

SG
I was thinking a budget of about $1k when all is said and done (upgrades, blades wheels etc) I'd rather spend more (to the extent I can save up) now than spend a few hundred on something I toss in favor of what I should have bought in the first place. But maybe I can't get what I want for that price.

EricRN

My take is both tools do different things and are designed to. Can you do things on both tools equally well the answer is yes. My go to tool is the tablesaw. It is by far the more useable of the 2 tools for accuracy and versatility. If doing simple things as cutting blanks and some segmenting than any bandsaw will do that. Bandsaws are a great tool for resawing and that is where they shine. Other than that they are just another tool. I highly highly highly recommend stay far away from any bench top bandsaw Not worth the money and aggravation. Buy a full size at least 14" model. I like the Laguna line. Good reviews come through on the Rikon also. Learn how to tune the tool and how to properly use it. Make sure the table is setup so blades can be taken off from the front. This is in case you add a fence with a rail system you do not have to remove rail to take blade off. If you are doing it make sure you get a large motor. I like a 1-1/2HP
These comments have me thinking that maybe I just need to get a table saw. I'd convinced myself I could get cuts that are just as accurate and repeatable with the band saw, but doesn't seem like that's the case (or if it can be done, it can only be done with great effort). Maybe I just go with the jobsite saw for now and upgrade when I have the space.

DrD

Eric, …

Having read Malcolm Tibbetts' book: ...

His comment on bandsaws is essentially, "expect to do a lot of sanding" which translates to owing a disc sander. That said, he cuts his segments on a sliding miter saw.

Bill
Amen, you talk about fiddley!! I have 2 band saws - both Delta: a small 10" and and X Series 14" with a 6" riser. I have tried every suggestion uttered by man - expert or not - and you are going to do a lot of sanding following a bandsaw cut. I make a lot of bandsaw boxes, which does require a bandsaw, else I wouldn't have one in my shop.
I also have a fairly nice 10" cabinet saw with a completely flat granite top, and a sliding table - VERY precise. Don't use it anymore after nearly completely severing 3 fingers on my left hand from a kickback while cutting pen blanks from large slabs of Macassar Ebony.
Not much help, but I would go with one of the smaller table top saws designed for segmenting.
Don't know where you live, but I could make you one whale of a deal on any or all 3 of these saws.
DrD

dogcatcher

A Makita 8" table saw for segmenting with straight cuts, I think the model number is 2708. For curved cut segmenting, the big Laguna bandsaw. The Makita is out of production, finding one is not easy or cheap.

jttheclockman

These comments have me thinking that maybe I just need to get a table saw. I'd convinced myself I could get cuts that are just as accurate and repeatable with the band saw, but doesn't seem like that's the case (or if it can be done, it can only be done with great effort). Maybe I just go with the jobsite saw for now and upgrade when I have the space.
Eric the problem when people ask for recommendations is we have no idea of your skill level and your abilities to think outside the proverbial box. This being a pen making forum we think the person is strictly thinking pens. To do segments such as what Mark shows can be done with a full size table saw as well as a very overpriced small hobby saw. But not much more with the hobby saw because of the size factor. But some well made jigs you can do any segmenting you want with a full sized tablesaw. I won't go into SawStop saws because that is a choice for the buyer. I have used a Delta contractors saw all my life and still have all fingers because I am careful and understand the tool. Any tool can bite you hard. Many times tools have shortcomings and that is why there is so many different ones made. Each tool is designed to do specific work and that is it. You can not make it do something it is not meant to do. If I were to start a shop from scratch, the very first tool I would buy hands down is a tablesaw. Without question. But I know I will be making other things than just pens. You can use a a bandsaw and use a disc sander and make some beautiful pens. Heck I segment using my lathe and router. Jigs can help overcome many shortfalls of tools so again thinking outside the box can help there.

Again I hate doing this but if you are going with a jobsite saw then look at the Dewalt 749 1

EricRN

Eric the problem when people ask for recommendations is we have no idea of your skill level and your abilities to think outside the proverbial box. This being a pen making forum we think the person is strictly thinking pens. To do segments such as what Mark shows can be done with a full size table saw as well as a very overpriced small hobby saw. But not much more with the hobby saw because of the size factor. But some well made jigs you can do any segmenting you want with a full sized tablesaw. I won't go into SawStop saws because that is a choice for the buyer. I have used a Delta contractors saw all my life and still have all fingers because I am careful and understand the tool. Any tool can bite you hard. Many times tools have shortcomings and that is why there is so many different ones made. Each tool is designed to do specific work and that is it. You can not make it do something it is not meant to do. If I were to start a shop from scratch, the very first tool I would buy hands down is a tablesaw. Without question. But I know I will be making other things than just pens. You can use a a bandsaw and use a disc sander and make some beautiful pens. Heck I segment using my lathe and router. Jigs can help overcome many shortfalls of tools so again thinking outside the box can help there.

Again I hate doing this but if you are going with a jobsite saw then look at the Dewalt 749 1
Fair enough. I am looking for something to do more than pens on—boxes, frames, etc. I've got a decent amount of experience on a table saw, although it was a few years ago. I've made some projects of intermediate difficulty—a mantel clock, a box with raised panel top, etc. I'm less experienced on the bandsaw.
Good point about jigs too. They bring a lot of versatility to different tools.

jttheclockman

Fair enough. I am looking for something to do more than pens on—boxes, frames, etc. I've got a decent amount of experience on a table saw, although it was a few years ago. I've made some projects of intermediate difficulty—a mantel clock, a box with raised panel top, etc. I'm less experienced on the bandsaw.
Good point about jigs too. They bring a lot of versatility to different tools.
If you are looking to do boxes and frames you will not do them with a bandsaw. A mitersaw or tablesaw is the tool for them. Good luck in whatever you choose. Maybe if you have the room both tools are the way to go. I am fortunate to have a shop big enough to have most tools even though it is a basement shop.

EricRN

Well, my wife made this decision easy. Got me the Dewalt 7491rs table saw for Christmas! (She had to give to me early when she realized she couldn't get it in from outside.) Very excited to get this thing set up. I'm going to have to make her something nice as a thank you!

Top Bottom