band saw options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

My 40 year old Delta/Rockwell band saw motor just bit the dust. I could probably get a replacement motor for around $100ish.

Looking at the possibility of upgrading to a new one. From what I've read so far, Rikon gets great reviews as does the 14" Grizzly.

Lowe's has a 13.625" Delta for around the same price. So I'm looking at spending in the $700+ range. More than I'd really like to spend for cutting pen blanks to length. But I don't want one of those little table top models.

I found a used 12"Craftsman 1hp on marketplace for $250 and a new 10" WEN with stand for $125. Are either of these worth a look?

I don't really need a lot of fancy features, but I do want it to be dependable.

Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

If all you use the band saw for is "cutting pen blanks to length" you don't really need a band saw at all, IMHO.

If you are cutting blanks from large blocks then yes.

I have a small 4.5" (approx) "table saw" that I find extremely useful for cutting blanks to length and for segmenting. . It has good accuracy, cuts cleanly at 90*, and can be set to cut at other angles. . I would not be without it. . I rarely use a band saw now.

The best little table saw of this type would be a Byrnes but there are others that cost a lot less.

A few cheaper examples on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/hobby-table-saw

Just offering you a few alternatives.

Last edited:

bmachin

If you're talking about a 40 year old 14 inch Delta versus anything that you or anybody else has mentioned, I'm with dogcatcher. That's a really good saw. I would go with a 1 1/2 HP motor.

If you need any further upgrades take a look at the Iturra Designs catalog. They don't have a web presence so you have to call them at 904-642-2802. They used to charge 5 bucks, but it's money well spent. They sell and educate on all things concerning bandsaw.

Bill

Woodchipper

Caution- I have the Rikon benchtop bandsaw. Good tool. Be aware that the miter slot is 5/8 and not the standard 3/4! If I had known this, I would have bought another brand. BTW, the optional miter for the Rikon isn't good quality. Made one out of scrap wood.

Curly

Scrounge up another motor. You should be able to find something locally or on eBay/Amazon for $100 to $300. If you want to go through the work of adapting a treadmill motor you will have variable speed which would let you cut metal with the right blade in it.

jttheclockman

You have one of the most reliable well built saws. You have the blades to fit it. You have the capabilities to resaw and do so much more Spend the money on upgrading the motor to a heavy duty motor and you are golden. I agree with others get a new motor. Stay far away from any of those desk top saws. Not in a bandsaw. I love when people say well all I am going to do is cut pen blanks. If that is all you are doing then get a handsaw and miter box and be done with it. :)

Stick with the Delta. Good brand and what I've found is that the older tools seem to be better built. That's just my opinion but almost all my power tools are at least 50+ years old and they still handle everything I can throw at them. No plastic or cheap metals and you can still get parts for them even if aftermarket, they work.

Fish30114

If all you use the band saw for is "cutting pen blanks to length" you don't really need a band saw at all, IMHO.

If you are cutting blanks from large blocks then yes.

I have a small 4.5" (approx) "table saw" that I find extremely useful for cutting blanks to length and for segmenting. . It has good accuracy, cuts cleanly at 90*, and can be set to cut at other angles. . I would not be without it. . I rarely use a band saw now.

The best little table saw of this type would be a Byrnes but there are others that cost a lot less.

A few cheaper examples on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/hobby-table-saw

Just offering you a few alternatives.

Magpens, will a Byrne table saw cut through a 7/8 or 1 inch blank??

magpens

Lucky you, Don ! . You will be well served and very happy with your purchase.

I have had mine for about 8 yrs; it was second hand when I bought it but in very good shape. . I have used it a lot and it is still in excellent shape. . All that said, I would still love to have a brand new one ... you know how it is !!

Top Bottom