Band Saw Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

I would like some input for selecting a benchtop bandsaw.
Unfortunately(?), due to very limited space, I have to go this route. I realize "you get what you pay for" but, as such, if anyone owns a (quality) 9-10" benchtop variety, I'd appreciate some honest Pros/Cons/
Suggestions for purchasing one. My priority use would be for pens & small items. I've checked some of the available models (Sears, Pro Tec, Ryobi, etc.) and it seems most of the "Cons" have been related to usage not designed for that size bandsaw. Thanks in advance for all the input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

I had the Ryobi 2 wheel 9/10" for years and I cut everything with it. Non ferrous metals, plastics of all kinds, tree branches, leather, rawhide and small trunks. When I was manufacturing cage bird toys. Harder material you had to slow up. The vacuum hook up in the bottom of the base worked good.

It finally broke a piece in the tensioning adjuster, But at the price I paid it worked out to about $11.00 a year owned.

The biggest con was the changing of the blades, was a pain in the seat and you need 3½hands to do it. I didn't get the part to fix it.

The reason is I brought my 14" Delta home, and will be installing a riser block and the Carter quick release tensioner along with some other upgrades.

Over all If I needed a small inexpensive band saw with a small foot print and lighter weight that you can move it, onto a bench to use and store under the bench. I wouldn't hesitate about buying another one!
:clown:

KenV

I have been tempted by the 10 inch Ricon. And I have a 14 Delta all triched out. Have used it, and it works well in the test runs. Highland Hardware had it on sale a few weeks back.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have a "no name" which works for what I need (not much).

The one question I would ask about these is "how close to straight can they cut"?
The blade is only .25" deep and it skews immediately, cutting a crooked straight line,
(this means the cut is straight, but not perpendicular to the material).

PTsideshow

The one question I would ask about these is "how close to straight can they cut"?
The blade is only .25" deep and it skews immediately, cutting a crooked straight line,
(this means the cut is straight, but not perpendicular to the material).

Most of the time it didn't matter if it was a little off for most of the stuff I cut.

When I started to cut 2½" and longer blanks. If you take your time and have a good fence, and the wood isn't real hard. They came out with only a slight skew. Since I have been only practicing turning as of yet, I was making all the blanks ¾" square. Keeping the table to blade roller/holder as close as possible helped.

Ed is correct with the smaller width blades.
:clown:

Fishinbo

I have heard many good reviews of Makita portable band saws. It delivers efficiency and ease. For other options, you may want to check this site where I acquired my band saw. Mine's not portable but this site might be worth a look. It's utilitybandsaw.com .

Bigj51

I have the 10" Craftsman Bandsaw from Sears and love it. It is the exact same saw as the 10" Ricon only painted a different color. This saw has worked perfectly for me as I have limited space as well. I run a 1/2" deep Lennox blade on mine and I'm not sure there is anything that this thing won't cut. I want to say that the Craftsman was [priced about $75.00 less than the rikon + I picked it up in store and did not have to pay for shipping.

Top Bottom