Bamboo pen stand display units

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I had so much fun making these I had to post them here (and another site, and another site, and....)

Anyhow, we had some bamboo veneer left over from a kitchen we did out of bamboo in the cabinet shop. So naturally I'm trying to figure out how that can be a benefit to my pen making. Viola!

Holds 12 pens (a few of them hold 10) of any size-- slimline to Emperor. Sits at an angle. It is supported by and ash post in the back mitered to fit the angle.

bamboostand1.JPG

I made a total of 13 of them (just about as easy as making 1 since there is so much tool setup involved).

The red one is dyed with "cordovan" dye mixed in the catalyzed topcoat. Did that do see how it looked and to mask a little wood putty in the middle where the line bore machine that drilled the holes tore up the bamboo.

bamboostands_all.JPG

I didn't really make them for sale but I can let a few of them go for $45 if anyone's interested. If not, more for me!

Now just have to go and turn 140+ pens. I'll just go do that real quick....[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Redfishsc, the pen stands look very nice in their simplicity and good use of leftover material. Hope you don't mind if I add a few pics on this posting to demonstrate my pen rack that I just completed this AM. It is capable of holding 52 pens in a very compact space. Why 52? To try a different pen once a week for a year.[:D]

-Peter-
20067221631_rax52.jpg
<br />
200672216323_rax52a.jpg
<br />

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />I like it! Is that cherry? If so, swab some BLO on or 100% real tung oil on that baby and watch it color up!

Glad you like it. It is indeed cherry and the sides are birch. I sort of like the 'raw' look but you're right about using BLO to bring it alive. I just finished a pen tray case using BLO on walnut and it now explodes with a 'look'.

-Peter-[:)]

Fangar

Looks nice Fish. I would be concerned about stability and the pens falling off of them. Especially if some fat knucled chump tried to grab one and took the lot down with him

Fangar

redfishsc

Fangar, your concern is right, but the backside has a 3-inch wide mitered ash prop on it (13/16th thick), so they are more stable than they look. But certainly not goofproof. We'll see how quickly I prove that to be true, one of them will show of some of my favorites here at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom