Baitcaster reel question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

epigolucky

Hey all,

Happy New Year!

I'm in the process of gearing up for fishing season and I am planning on moving from spinning reels to add a baitcaster reel to my collection.

I'm right handed, so spinning reels I use my left hand to reel. The traditional approach for a baitcaster reel would be to use my right hand to reel.

After looking into this, I would prefer to continue to reel with my left hand on a baitcaster. My question: Is there any reason that I shouldn't do this? Or has this just been the traditional approach over the years?

I would prefer to go with my left hand to reel, I feel have better fine motor control with my right hand, which would allow for better lure presentation and control, and not have to switch hands to hold/reel after casting one less think to worry about as I pick out backlash :biggrin:. And hopefully this will prevent people from wanting to use my gear as it's "left handed".

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I have 4 baitcasters. All are left hand reel, as that's what i'm comfortable with. Just make sure you set the reel's tension before going out. That will help reduce backlash.

Scotty

If you cast with your right hand and reel with your left hand, buying left handed casting reels will save you from switching hands. More efficient and you can get more casts in. Good luck. May all your fishes be big'uns!

Scotty

I'm left handed. I cast with my left hand and reel with my right. Long ago, spinning reel handles did not switch sides. I had to buy left handed reels with the handle on the right. A regular casting reel works for me.

Woodchipper

Check on the innards. I have a Shakespeare President. Didn't know it at the time but the gears are nylon which have a habit of drying out and breaking. Fortunately, my father found a place in Chicago that stocked parts. I retired it as I'm afraid that parts might not be available in years to come.

epigolucky

Thanks everyone! Looks like i'll be going with a left handed caster.

Thanks for the tip on looking at the innards as well Woodchipper.

Top Bottom