Bad (Worn) Drill Press Spindle or Worn MT?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I use both lathes and a drill press to make holes. Despite watching many YT's and lots of reading, I can't seem to get the chuck to stay in the drill press spindle. I have cleaned the spindle and chuck several times. I also wacked the heck out of the chuck. Any ideas as to how to fix this. Maybe just buy a new chuck?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

When assembling tapers (both Jacobs and Morse) it is important that both the taper and the taper socket be smooth and clean. Wipe them with Denatured Alcohol or Acetone to make sure there is absolutely no grease on either part before sliding them together. Both Jacobs and Morse tapers are considered "self holding tapers". It should only take a single, solid, rap with a mallet to both hold the chuck onto the arbor and a single rap to hold the chuck and arbor into the spindle. - Dave

TonyL

Thank you Dave. That process has been performed many times. I appreciate your reply. Thank you very much.

randyrls

I will add to what David said; You likely know this. Check to make sure neither socket nor taper has any "galling". Galling occurs when either one spins against the other. It appears as a raised spot on the taper or socket. You can sometimes remove the gall with a file, but use caution to only remove the gall. They make a special "green weenie" to clean out morse tapers. Even if the taper and socket appear to be clean, wipe them both down with Acetone on a rag.

TonyL

Thank you. I did use 0000 steel wool. But will examine the spindle hole and try the brass sg brush. Thx!!

Aurelius

I know this may sound simplistic, and you've likley already checked it, but does your taper the kind that has the tab on the end? If so, you might need to extend the quill on the spindle a bit before it will engage. On my lathe, I need to extend the tailstock about 10mm before the taper catches.

wimkluck

I know this may sound simplistic, and you've likley already checked it, but does your taper the kind that has the tab on the end? If so, you might need to extend the quill on the spindle a bit before it will engage. On my lathe, I need to extend the tailstock about 10mm before the taper catches.
I do agree this. I have a mt 2 that needs 20 mm. I have solved this problem in a drillingmachine by wrapping the morse taper with 1 round of a piece of newspaper. (do not overlap).

TonyL

You know, I was think of something like that! However, It worked fine for years for the same MT and chuck, I just don't know what I woudl have done for change anything to change. And no, I didn't try the newspaper hack. I am about to try buying another DP :). I will give all a try. Thank you.

carlmorrell

You could use this as an excuse to get a new chuck and spindle adapter. I just swapped out my 25 year old 5/8" chuck, with a 1/2" ball bearing chuck and spindle. I thought I was having a bit of a runout issue. In reality, my problem was a 1/8" center drill I recently purchased was more than 1/8", I measured the chuck runout and blamed it on that. I do have less runout with the new chuck now, and I appreciate how smooth it spins.

I would like to comment on tapers being self holding. Never had an issue with my drill press, but I did recently add a collet chuck to my toys (er, tools), for the lathe, and I could not keep that thing in place. Luckily it was threaded (not tabbed) so I could add a draw bar.

TonyL

You could use this as an excuse to get a new chuck and spindle adapter. I just swapped out my 25 year old 5/8" chuck, with a 1/2" ball bearing chuck and spindle. I thought I was having a bit of a runout issue. In reality, my problem was a 1/8" center drill I recently purchased was more than 1/8", I measured the chuck runout and blamed it on that. I do have less runout with the new chuck now, and I appreciate how smooth it spins.

I would like to comment on tapers being self holding. Never had an issue with my drill press, but I did recently add a collet chuck to my toys (er, tools), for the lathe, and I could not keep that thing in place. Luckily it was threaded (not tabbed) so I could add a draw bar.
I am looking for an excuse to buy a new drill press. I am one second away from pulling the trigger lol Thanks for the advice.

carlmorrell

I am looking for an excuse to buy a new drill press. I am one second away from pulling the trigger lol Thanks for the advice.
I still have the owners manual for my (1994 Northern) drill press. I have the receipt in the manual, something I never do, I paid $225. Would have to spend a lot more today ($1000?). I got the new chuck from LittleMachineShop for less than $50. Show us a photo of your drill press, what year and make? It might be a keeper.

TonyL

Sure.. Here you go and thank you. Porter Cable Standing Drill Press 2016
1690492955157.png

Top Bottom