Bad experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Barblecatcher

Hi all,

Had a bad experience purchasing my first lathe which I would like to share.
Purchased a SIP Midi lathe, varied speed via Costco UK with pen making and small items in mind. Within two weeks it started randomly switching off.
I contacted SIP as it was delivered direct from their factory. They quickly replaced it. However in the space of 8 days the replacement lathe develop the same symptoms as the first one. This time I contacted both Costco and SIP.
SIP collected it the following day, suggesting they will repair it under "warranty," However, I have told Costco I wish a refund to allow me to purchase a more reliable lathe.
I understand that the Charnwood Mini Lathe CHW815 Variable Speed is exactly the same lathe as the SIP Midi, but labelled with their logo. If this is the case it is rumoured that these lathes have on/off switch problems which my experience supports.
Although the lathe has been returned to SIP, I'm still waiting for Costco to refund my money!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

If it were me, I'ld have taken a good close look at the switch itself and see if the problem was one I could fix with a quick touch of solder .... but I'm an electrician, so I can understand where most people wouldn't want to go poking about in unfamiliar territory.

Skie_M

Recently had an issue with my Harbor Freight combo sander 1x30 belt with 5 inch disc....

The power switch was on the glitch....

I dismantled the control box and found the issue ... power switch connectors were dirty because of dust infiltration in the control box. Say what??? I don't need dust in my control box, damn it!

I went and got some scratch pads and cut them up to make dust filters and used compressed air to clean out the box ... hot-glued my filters in place, cleaned up my power switch connectors with a steel brush and just for good measure I went ahead and soldered the connections.

I put it all back together and it worked perfectly. Till the main wheel came off last night! A little checking revealed that the set screw had worked loose enough that my main drive wheel came loose. Ok ... a hex driver and a little locktite will fix that. While I had the whole thing apart, I went ahead and dusted everything and vacumned up the debris. I got covered in cocobolo dust, and today I'm itching all over .... like a full body rash. :p There was no dust collection in that corner where I was working on it. I guess I should have went out and got a hazmat suit! :p

Final maintenance was to add some 3-in-1 oil to the bearing guides and put it all back together, and re-connect my vacuum lines.

I need to go back and check my sander's table to see that it is properly square, though.

As you can see ... I'm no stranger to "The Norm Abrams Yankee Ingenuity" school of thought. :)

While I can't afford those massively expensive and super-high quality tools they use all the time on This Old House, I can at least get the RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB, and keep it within it's limits, even if it's cheap, and maintain it well, so that I don't have to force THE WRONG TOOL TO DO SOMETHING IT ISN'T DESIGNED TO DO.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I got covered in cocobolo dust, and today I'm itching all over .... like a full body rash. :p There was no dust collection in that corner where I was working on it. I guess I should have went out and got a hazmat suit! :p

Be Careful! I started casting (Alumilite) 2 years ago and developed dermitis due to the chemicals/odors;... not fun. Use whatever dust collection/filtration/ventilation that you can. Now I cast under a full sandblasting box... But it works :)

KenV

Mike

My guess is that Costco will want the iron returned before you get a refund. Hope the iron gets to your hands before the window of time for returns expires.

Looks like Costco UK and Costco USA are the same company. Here,I have to bring it in to get a refund.

Top Bottom