Backyard oak burl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duderubble

We built a house on our property for my daughter last year. There was a little burl on one of the oaks we took down and I've been saving it for a year. I sliced it up today and got these two full length blanks. I have applied CA to the cracks and voids. I'm hoping that will be sufficient. What do you all think?

There are several pieces with much larger voids to fill and I think they will be awesome, but that's down the road for me.

Attachments

• 20200514_172814.jpg
    20200514_172814.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Those blanks look great !! . Good luck with them !!

While you turning them round, keep applying a layer of CA after every couple of cuts ... just a precaution against separation or cracking.

Lucky2

Guy, those two blanks should make a couple of nice pens, are you sure that they are dry enough to use? If it was cut off of a living or green tree, I don't think that they would be dry enough, a year isn't a very long time to allow wood to dry before using it. Do you own a moisture meter? They aren't very expensive, and are they handy to have?

Len

duderubble

Guy, those two blanks should make a couple of nice pens, are you sure that they are dry enough to use? If it was cut off of a living or green tree, I don't think that they would be dry enough, a year isn't a very long time to allow wood to dry before using it. Do you own a moisture meter? They aren't very expensive, and are they handy to have?

Len
I need to get a meter, but this was a very small burl (about 6-8" around) and it was cut off the tree and sat outside for all of last summer. The tree was cut in November 2018 and the burl cut off and sat in a corner of the open air woodshed until a couple months ago. It's quite hard and the sawdust is very dry. I think it's pretty safe.

Top Bottom