Backorders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

Rather than take a chance on sounding like bashing any one company, I thought I'd start a new topic on this.

More and more, companies I deal with through the internet, mail order, and/or phone order put many of the things I purchase on backorder. I don't know if this is an increasing problem or if I am just getting more impatient as I age (gracefully I might add).

I know that a tight economy puts a squeeze on the funds that companies have for inventories. I also know that the lure of "just in time" inventory systems has converted many companies to a culture of "on demand". And I am sure that many of you can come up with other reasons for the backorder culture of today. If so, please share.

The increase of backorders has one benefit for the local "brick and mortar: businesses. I have often willingly paid more for something locally to have it when I want it. So I guess there is a plus.

My three big complaints about companies that put my purchases on backorder.

1. Companies that take my money up front and use it until they can provide the item. (Doesn't really cost me with MY bank balances - just wrong in principle.) I prefer companies that charge as they provide an item.
2. Companies that charge shipping multiple times due to the inventory being backordered or shipped from different locations. (That was your choice NOT mine = your cost.)
3. Companies that can't tell you when they CAN provide an item. OK, I understand that retailers can't control wholesalers and all that. But, recently, I had a book club tell me, in writing, that they weren't set up notify customers when backorders ship nor had a timeline for when backorders turn into "can't provide" items. Come on....do companies still run so haphazardly that they don't know what their shipping department is doing? It shouldn't take rocket science, or even much additional technology, to initiate e-mail when an item is shipped. Are they writing or typing the shipping documents by hand?!?

The strange thing is the smaller the vendor the better the service I get in this regard.

That's my rant - what's yours?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Bill,
The only caveat I would add is that where the stuff is manufactured over seas, sometimes it's tough to take customs, political, social, and other issues into account. As a result, the company may fully have expected to be able to meet your needs, but couldn't because of these kinds of problems.

Other than that, I agree with you about #'s 1 and 2!

Jerryconn

I think it's one of those cascading things. Orders come in and deplete inventory, inventory is not getting replenished as fast, not only due to increased security getting through customs, but our ports on both ends of the country are maxed out so there are more delays. In the meantime the folks we order from continue taking orders. So in the end the stock is sold out before they receive it. Then they order more but the delays push the availability further back .......and on.... and on.... and on....
Just my opinion

vick

Originally posted by tipusnr

2. Companies that charge shipping multiple times due to the inventory being backordered or shipped from different locations. (That was your choice NOT mine = your cost.)

I hear you on that one I used to use Enco for a lot of things but last time I tried to order they wanted to charge me to ship from 3 different wharehouses to the tune of $30 shipping for $50 of merchandise. I decided I could do with out.

Draken

Bulk buys (not limited to pen supplies) also hit inventories hard, and result in a lot of itmes being backordered. Small vendors aren't always better. On Tuesday I sent an email order to a small, family owned business (pen related) and didn't get any response. When I called on Thursday, they found my email, in the deleted folder of their mail reader. They blamed their junk mail filter rules, but it made me wonder how many other orders suffered the same fate? Their website specifically asks for orders to be emailed to them if they are smaller orders. Anyhow, they rushed the order out on Thrusday, so I should have it in hand on Saturday, so they did make up for it.

Cheers,
Draken

tipusnr

Thanks for the initial responses.

Not to beat a dead horse but #3 probably should have been #1 on my aggravation list. (Whether or not you have charged me for the item)Once I have been notified that an item is on backorder, it sure would be nice to be notified when the item has been shipped. That way I know that's it's on its way vice still waiting on a 3rd party; when I should reasonable expect it (to know when to start bothering the delivery folks); and that the company has a reasonable respect for my time (I'm retired Navy and plan B is NEVER that far behind plan A).

If I need something right away, I usually buy it locally so priority shipping and all that isn't of high importance to me. What is important is that people I do business with keep me in the loop when plans change. I consider it to be common courtesy!

gerryr

I'm not sure what the fuss is about or who it's about, but my experience with the sellers I deal with has not been like that at all. I have had excellent service from CSUSA, AZ Silhouette and Beartooth Woods. Both BB and Ernie's site will tell you if something is out of stock. When I've ordered something from CSUSA that was out of stock, I've been informed immediately and they haven't charged me for it until it did ship and they only charged for one shipment.

You need to remember that none of these kits are made in the US, they all come from Taiwan. The factory will not always complete a run when scheduled, the transit time can vary significantly, and there's the issue of customs clearance. Being a purchasing professional, I probably have a different perspective on this, but I can tell you from experience, that a scheduled delivery date is just a projection and assumes that everything works optimally. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

As far as #1 and #2 are concerned, that's easy. I just don't do business with companies that do that.

DocStram

If you can't depend on your suppliers .... then, don't advertise it until you have it in stock. What's so hard about that? Oh, you'd rather inconvience and alienate loyal customers rather than be honest?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Having stock problems on occasion is easily understood, but these regular out-of-stock situations are frustrating. Frustration, in my case, leads me to look for other suppliers. I think that happens rather frequently. If it happens enough, the vendor's business will suffer. That's capitalism at its finest. [8D]

mwechtal

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />
1. Companies that take my money up front and use it until they can provide the item. (Doesn't really cost me with MY bank balances - just wrong in principle.) I prefer companies that charge as they provide an item.

I have read more than once that this is a federal offence. I don't know if it's true though. Maybe someone else knows the law on this for sure?

Mike

Johnathan

My wife will tell you that I am the most impatient guy around. As soon as I hear backorder, I tell them I'll call back when it's available. Most things that I need I can find somewhere else. I'd rather spend a little more and know I'll have it the next week. Yes, you can find some great deals, but if you have to wait for 5 months or more to get it, time is money.

Rifleman1776

If one has never owned a business and dealt with suppliers, simplistic answers might seem appropriate. Retailers cannot control how much customers will buy. They try but the public is largely unpredictable. Some items become 'hot' unexpectedly and go out of stock. Then, with the stuff we use here, there is the problem of getting it made promptly by the Chinese companies, many of whom use home-based cottage industry sub-contractors to make their stuff, sometimes under primitive conditions. It is complicated business. I'm waiting on some items from one of our more popular suppliers, frustrating but, hey, it happens. On the other hand, try owning a business then having to go to your banker and explain why something you thought was going to be a 'hot' seller is still on the shelves and you can't make your loan payments. Retailing is a riot. Been there, done that. Anybody want to buy a couple gross of hose with toes? [:0]

Ligget

I am waiting for information regarding my order that I placed on 25th March, some kits were on backorder as usual, I don`t get FREE shipping on backorders as I stay in the UK so my choice was to ship when order was complete.
Yes I do hate that decision now, as it was over $1000, there were a few things that I really needed in it.[:(!][}:)]

woodwish

I've had pretty good luck with most companies, or at least it seems compared to other hobbies the woodturning suppliers are better than most. I think part of the problem is that with everything being so fast these days from e-mail vs. old first class mail, Fed-Ex overnight vs. REA (really dating myself), etc. I think we just expect everything to be instant. In the olden days we never knew it was back-ordered until it didn't show up weeks later, today we know as soon as we place the order online.

Ryan

I had been waiting for a kit that had been back ordered for 2 months to come in. I called and it was in so I put in my order. Guess what? It was the only item I needed that was in stock. Everything else was back ordered. They told me due to the problem that they would give me a gift certificate for a free blank of the ones I was ordering. When the order showed up they charged me for the free blank[}:)].

The kit I was waiting for had over 200 on Back Order and they only got in 600. They almost had half of them sold before they even showed up.

Ryan

wood-of-1kind

The 'problem' is very simple. Very few companies are willing to hold high levels of inventory any more. INVENTORY is expensive to hold and in the words of the beancounters(accountants) is viewed as a liabilty rather than an asset. Another moderm ECONOMICS 101 lesson. This assessment is based on my personal 25 years of experience in Materials Management.

-Peter-

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />The 'problem' is very simple. Very few companies are willing to hold high levels of inventory any more. INVENTORY is expensive to hold and in the words of the beancounters(accountants) is viewed as a liabilty rather than an asset. Another moderm ECONOMICS 101 lesson. This assessment is based on my personal 25 years of experience in Materials Management.

-Peter-

Absolutely right and with good reason. What may be 'hot' today can get very 'cold' quickly. Unsold merchandise sitting on a shelf is money lost a couple ways. The money could have been used for other items that sell faster and many companies work on some kind of loan for merchandise so they are paying interest on 'stuff' sitting on a shelf. Until you have been there and suffered that, it is hard to understand or appreciate.

Pipes

Been there and do that everyday in a small Business Mom and Pop my wife and I have ! We carry less stock thaN 5 YRS AGO FORSURE ! A lot LESS hi END STUFF ....
And Pens are a Fun for me BUT there NOT a hobby But I enjoy making them so maybe that part is a hobby !! I got in to sell them ! I hope the suppliers are not all as bad as 1 I have found for back ordering on ya !! I learned quick on that !!![:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom