Back to turning after a few weeks off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cl1237

cl1237

Finally got around to turning some new to me kits that I got from PSI and Berea's latest sales.

First up is the GT2
The segmented pen was what Bob Ross would call a "happy accident" started out as a spalted mango blank, but a blowout stalled my plans. Instead of stripping the tube and starting over like I usually do, I tried my hand at a segmented repair. Dig around in my scrap bin and would a nice contrast in piece of red heart. I wasn't happy with the point, so I cut a small groove and filled it with black CA to blend the transition a little better
Second GT2 is a very soft wood of some sort, not sure what it is but it turned out great

Next up is the Sierra Super Click, one in inlace acrylester "Mother Earth" and the other in yellow cedar burl

Attachments

• IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    673 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7688.jpeg
    IMG_7688.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    697.5 KB · Views: 87

egnald

Very Nice - Your repaired pen looks great. I think adding the black separator really sets it off. Although it is really difficult to tell with burls, I think the "very soft wood" of yours might be Redwood Lace Burl - it sure looks like some that I have used in the past. Although Redwood is classified as a Softwood, the burl I had didn't seem that soft. Regardless, it sure made a very attractive pen. The Yellow Earth and Yellow Cedar Burl are also very cool.

Dave

PS. This is one of the pens I made from the Redwood Lace Burl. It was a blank that I got from Rocky Bemis (Rockb) that he got from the area around a historic logging ghost town on the Redwood Coast in Falk, California.
IMG_1994 Cropped ADJ.jpg

Top Bottom