Back in the Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well today I stepped back in the shop after doing all the projects I needed to get done around the house so when contractors come to work on exterior of house I have my work done. I recently bought some new kits that I wanted to try so I started cutting and gluing tubes in for some basic pen blank entries. Curious how these kits look in person. Before all this I had about 7 or 8 blanks and pens I was working on so they too can get back to completion. With these 6 or 7 basic blanks added that should keep me busy for awhile. Still have one blank I made but not sure what kit to use. I am sure many have run into this situation. May just go with a simple Sierra Vista kit.

Anyway be on the look out for some new pens from my shop. Happy turning and all stay safe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Spun one today and started working on a more intricate blank too. Should have a few ready for next week to post. The one segmented blank I am working on is going to require some out of the box gluing techniques. Have to sleep on that one. I did realize I better take some extra photos because I am sure others will want to know how. Being I want to make 2 different style kits with this design I will document the second one more so. Also will be trying something different for on tube clear casting which will carry over to a couple pens. Hopefully one of them will finally be the IAP pen I wanted to do for my IAP pen box. If all goes well it will stay together as a package. So will see as I continue on. Again Happy Turning and stay safe.

jttheclockman

Update, got 4 pens done with basic blanks and one more to go. Just waiting on finish to cure so I can polish and put on kit. Then will post them next week sometime. The segmented blanks I am working on are going to be a bear to drill and keep together the entire process. All acrylic and aluminum. Not sure yet if I will try to knock off corners or just spin them. Either way it is the shock of the blade or tool hitting the sides that cause trouble. Anyway good to be creating again.

jttheclockman

Still not happy with my attempt to get a satin look on a pen blanks so that will delay photos for now. Going to try something new today. Need a trip to Home Depot so better get my mask. :) They did not have what I wanted so will have to do on line order. But I will go ahead and post photos of pens I did get made up.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

OK I have posted first 3 pens that I talked about here. I have another completed. I have now added 2 more blanks to the blue titanium so working on them. I have 2 other blanks I am working on for the fourth and final in this series. Hopefully will get those done soon. Then it is onto more challenging blanks with some segmenting and some casting. These will be cool if I can pull off. (Tease)One group is segmented pens that was once very popular here and it is my take on its design. Goes back a few years but it made its rounds as most blanks do once people see them. Maybe it will again make another round of trys. Stay tuned for them. I did figure out how to hold the parts together for gluing. Weather it stays together when drilling and turning remains to be seen.

jttheclockman

OK update, I know everyone is getting tired of seeing the pens I am posting and time to take a break. So I will do just that. I will show the last 2 blanks I made for these kits I bought and talked about, tomorrow. I need to take a couple photos. Tired of setting the background up. I use my tablesaw for that so every time I need to knock it back down when I need to work on other things. I do have one more that I am still trying to get a matt finish on a piece of Gabon ebony that I a happy with but that may take a back seat for now.

After these I will get back to making some segmented blanks and also some casting. More casting that segmented because I have a few theme pens I want to make. These will not be ready for a few weeks so will give you plenty of time to forget me. :)

I do want to thank all that took a peek at my work and to even like or comment in the thread. Much appreciated. But the last week was fun to get back to some basic pen turning for awhile. I did like all the new kits I tried so will incorporate them in my inventory. Till next time Happy Turning and stay safe.

Top Bottom