Back in the saddle/shop again! Tips for safety?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello all! I have been off the grid for a bit; late July/all of August in TN is hot & humid beyond belief (for a California coastal native) and I also had major abdominal surgery in mid-August so I took some time off in the shop and have been lounging around the house in recovery. I am ready to get back in the shop again, but I'm feeling a bit scared.

Physically, I have been "cleared" for physical activity for a few weeks now, but mentally I have been in a block about getting back in the shop. Nothing like 6 healing surgical scars in the stomach area & a few months out of practice out in the shop to make you nervous about going back out there and letting razor blade sharp tools cut high speed spinning wood right at the level of all your scars 😬 (plus the resident 6 foot rat snake that has been hanging out in there is enough to make me jumpy when I think I see something out of the corner of my eye🤦🏻‍♀️). Snakes don't scare me, but anything I see out of the corner of my eyes while I'm focusing on something always makes me jumpy.

What's the best way to ease back into the shop in a safe manner? I feel so rusty and out of practice (& to be honest I was a total newbie anyway, so I don't have years of muscle memory to fall back on). Part of my hesitation is just nerves I know, but I don't want to just sail out there like not a day has passed and end up getting hurt. Today I will be doing some shop clean up; tons of spiders have moved in in my absence and I didn't "shut the shop down before surgery, so it looks like I left mid project (which I kind of did) and just doing simple stuff like going thru my stock and supplies to take stock and make plans, but what "warm up" type things should I be doing? Should I turn some green wood? Should I just cut up stock on the bandsaw for awhile?

It seems silly to ask, since I started this hobby cold Turkey at the beginning of the year and figured it out then; but I had less equipment then, and eased into each new machine over time instead of walking out there and having them all at my fingertips again and knowing "what I'm doing" but being rusty at it as well.

Any safety tips for getting back out in the shop after a long absence?? What do you guys do to ease back into the shop after an extended break?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Not sure what to tell you... a few years back I went through an umbilical hernia repair... the cut an 8 inch slash down the middle of my belly just along side belly button... (Gutted me like a fish)(the belly is fishbelly white)... I went back after a 3 week lay off and did some small things... I don't worry about being hit in the belly so much as being hit in the face...(I took a bowl out of a long worth chuck in the face)...

Just be careful and start slowly with smaller turnings... might make you more comfortable with the machines.

jttheclockman

I basically step away from my shop every summer and try to get in there come the winter months. Now as of right now I had no injuries that laid me up totally other than bad knees or things where I take a few days off. So I still do things around the house during the summer that keep me active. Working in construction all my life will never take the fear out of me but do have to say I had to add a circuit in my electrical panel yesterday for a new dryer which is coming this week and it took me twice as long to do it than what I use to do. This is because I knew I needed to be careful of every step working around hot wires once again. Your awareness and hightened sense should kick in. Your muscle memory will return and the love of the smell of shop work will too. Just go in there and straighten things up Organize things again. But do nothing that could cause harm by lifting heavy things or moving heavy things. As mentioned do not want to get hit in the gut with flying objects. It should be every time you are in the shop around dangerous tools that you are on alert but even more so in the state you are in now. Time will heal things. Good luck.

egnald

Hi Lauren,

After getting my insulin pump I started wearing a shop apron when I was turning to protect my pump and infusion set, but after a year I have started to skip the apron. Both Rocker and Woodcraft have nice leather aprons, but to avoid the cost you could perhaps look for a canvas one.

I also started using a full face shield instead of just safety glasses. It takes a little getting used to, but better than taking the full force of a chunk of wood in the face. I'm also a strong believer in hearing protection, especially when running loud power tools like saws and such. Some day I need to invest in a good set of active hearing protectors made for the shop. At less than $100 bucks, I've been looking at the Pro Ears Silver 22 from WoodCraft as they have a pretty decent NRR rating and use common AAA batteries.

Glad you are feeling ready to get going in the shop again! - Dave

penicillin

Make the snake feel welcome! But get back into turning SLOWLY! Be safe.
Are they saying, "Release a few rats into your shop for the snake to snack on?" If so, which wine would you choose to pair with "rat" to make the snake feel welcome?

Seriously -

Why not start out inside the house and review what is available on shop and lathe safety? I don't know if you learn from the internet, or books, or what. Whatever you review, see if it feels "internalized", where you say to yourself, "I knew that ... I knew that ... I knew that ..." If not, time for more study first.

Otherwise, go out to the shop, sharpen your tools, and make something small, easy, and relatively safe, like a pen. You will know if it feels right. ;-)

Cardinal rule #1 of safety: If it doesn't feel right, stop immediately and think about it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome back Lauren. As mentioned, you can start with small turnings. Just my opinion, and I am no authority on this. Mentioning your abdominal concerns, I thought about body armor. What if you could fashion a shield to cover your front side. Even a plastic shield you can hang over your neck? Light weight, but enough to deflect flying objects. Just a thought. Get yourself a Webster brush, and clear out all the spider webs. Then some Home Defense, and spray around the openings, corners, and baseboards for all the creepy crawlers. If the snake doesn't bother you, leave him to keep the the rodents in check. After you have done some turning, you'll be back into your comfort zone in short order. Best I've got. Have some fun!

sbwertz

I had a 4 ft bull snake that lived in the feed room for many years. He kept the mice down. Stick with pen turning and wear an apron. Pen blanks on a mandrel can't come adrift very easily.

howsitwork

Lauren

Not sure on snakes as in the UK we only have a few and they only come out on hot summer days !

So for your sanity get back in there !

For your safety an apron seems a good idea although I use a zipped smock top as aprons need tyeing carefully at the back! In reality turning pens you're not going to get hit by anything big are you ? So a smock should be enough.

A face helmet to protect your eyes and lungs is ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA . Get used to it now and it becomes second nature to be protected. Plus the cool air down your face can be very , very pleasant. If you go for one with the tube and nita me fan at waist height behind you - for heavens sake be careful about what you eat! Flatulence with one of those is not good (DAMHIKT 🤫). I have trend air helmets and they work a treat.

For relaxation and to build up the muscles a bit why not do a bit of planing of your blanks or any nice rough wood you've got? That should build up the stomach muscles and get you stretching a bit plus no chance of it flying up at you if well held in a vice.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome back and great to hear you are doing better.

Easing back in - I spend time sharpening the tools, turning two or three small bowls of different shapes to get the feel of the tools and wood again. To me, I enjoy making pens, but pens require more tedious and precise "feel", and if I have not done one in several months, I need to get the feel of the tool and the wood back, so turning a bowl or two brings eases me into my comfort zone.

MPVic

Glad you are on the mend! I am certainly older than you but I was laid up for quite a while after complicated knee replacement surgery. I returned to the lathe using a high "bistro" chair - it helped take my focus off the shaky knee & steady my hands/arms at the same time. Best of luck.

jjjaworski

Be careful easing back into things.
Like several others have mentioned, be careful and start small since you are trying to remember processes and build your confidence back up.
Best of luck getting back up to speed with your turning.

Jim

Hi Lauren,

After getting my insulin pump I started wearing a shop apron when I was turning to protect my pump and infusion set, but after a year I have started to skip the apron. Both Rocker and Woodcraft have nice leather aprons, but to avoid the cost you could perhaps look for a canvas one.

I also started using a full face shield instead of just safety glasses. It takes a little getting used to, but better than taking the full force of a chunk of wood in the face. I'm also a strong believer in hearing protection, especially when running loud power tools like saws and such. Some day I need to invest in a good set of active hearing protectors made for the shop. At less than $100 bucks, I've been looking at the Pro Ears Silver 22 from WoodCraft as they have a pretty decent NRR rating and use common AAA batteries.

Glad you are feeling ready to get going in the shop again! - Dave
I'm already super careful with my safety equipment- I wear safety glasses at ALL times but switch to a full face mask whenever I'm at the lathe. I wear a heavy cotton apron (not a full canvas one but still thick fabric) over the top of a long sleeve shirt and hoodie. My equipment isn't loud (no table or circular saws or anything like that) so I don't worry about hearing protection much (other than my sander, and for that I grab my lawn mowing ear muffs). But I have been contemplating a leather apron so I'll check out the ones at woodcraft (I'm headed there tomorrow!)

Welcome back Lauren. As mentioned, you can start with small turnings. Just my opinion, and I am no authority on this. Mentioning your abdominal concerns, I thought about body armor. What if you could fashion a shield to cover your front side. Even a plastic shield you can hang over your neck? Light weight, but enough to deflect flying objects. Just a thought. Get yourself a Webster brush, and clear out all the spider webs. Then some Home Defense, and spray around the openings, corners, and baseboards for all the creepy crawlers. If the snake doesn't bother you, leave him to keep the the rodents in check. After you have done some turning, you'll be back into your comfort zone in short order. Best I've got. Have some fun!
I did spend some serious time with the shop vac getting rid of then spiders. Oddly my bug spray from a few months ago had no effect on them, but it has killed all manner of other bugs (endless piles of dead beetles and such- even a crazy pincher beetle looking thing).
I'm not a fan of the snake… but he keeps the mice away and apparently it eats other bad snakes too (I live next to a creek so things like cottonmouths are known to be around at times) so other than crossing my fingers at hoping I don't see him, I'm going to leave him be if he leaves me be.

If you are worried you are not ready.
This is sort of what I am feeling. I might be physically ready, but for some reason I don't feel mentally ready. Today I cut out a wine stopper blank (out of Blue Mahoe if anyone was curious), drilled it and started to turn it; i was nervous and jumpy the whole time. I found myself gritting my teeth and standing stiffly and the smallest catch or knock I got while turning made me jump and almost make my hands shake. It's weird that I was so jumpy/scared. I have never had an injury while in the shop (nothing more than a splinter) and I was taking all the precautions (I had on a thick hoodie over a long sleeve shirt, a thick apron over that and was wearing a full face mask) but I was so twitchy about turning. I WANT to want to be out there, but I'm just finding a mental block when it comes to getting started again.

Yesterday I built a new stand/bench for my drill press; nothing fancy and it was mostly just drilling pilot holes and adding screws and I was happy as clam and got the whole thing done in 90 minutes… today spending an hour trying to turn a stopper was like pulling teeth to not bolt. (Sigh) 🥺

howsitwork

This is sort of what I am feeling. I might be physically ready, but for some reason I don't feel mentally ready. Today I cut out a wine stopper blank (out of Blue Mahoe if anyone was curious), drilled it and started to turn it; i was nervous and jumpy the whole time. I found myself gritting my teeth and standing stiffly and the smallest catch or knock I got while turning made me jump and almost make my hands shake. It's weird that I was so jumpy/scared. I have never had an injury while in the shop (nothing more than a splinter) and I was taking all the precautions (I had on a thick hoodie over a long sleeve shirt, a thick apron over that and was wearing a full face mask) but I was so twitchy about turning. I WANT to want to be out there, but I'm just finding a mental block when it comes to getting started again.

Yesterday I built a new stand/bench for my drill press; nothing fancy and it was mostly just drilling pilot holes and adding screws and I was happy as clam and got the whole thing done in 90 minutes… today spending an hour trying to turn a stopper was like pulling teeth to not bolt. (Sigh) 🥺
if it makes you happy…….

if not , chill

WriteON

Stoppers are intense and a mess. Start out with small things.

sbwertz

I did spend some serious time with the shop vac getting rid of then spiders. Oddly my bug spray from a few months ago had no effect on them, but it has killed all manner of other bugs (endless piles of dead beetles and such- even a crazy pincher beetle looking thing).
I'm not a fan of the snake… but he keeps the mice away and apparently it eats other bad snakes too (I live next to a creek so things like cottonmouths are known to be around at times) so other than crossing my fingers at hoping I don't see him, I'm going to leave him be if he leaves me be.
One of the reasons we kept the bull snake in the feed room is that they will kill and eat rattlesnakes.

Top Bottom