Back in the garage (I mean shop), finally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

It has been a while since I had the time or inclination to get back to turning; bad cold, bad weather, laziness, 'stuff' in the way, ....

I have taken several days to complete these pens. Turning took the least amount of time; putting on a finish took the most amount of time, especially when you take into account letting the CA cure over night during a couple of the stages. Polishing and assembly was a snap.

These are CSUSA Artisan Aero Blanks, and left to right are Australian Burl, Padauk, Ebony (thank you DielselDoc), and Spalted Hackberry (I think...could be Maple).

My apologies for the photography; just my iPhone with the pens laying on some white fabric.

It is good to be back at the lathe!
IMG_0429.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grpass

It has been a while since I had the time or inclination to get back to turning; bad cold, bad weather, laziness, 'stuff' in the way, ....

I have taken several days to complete these pens. Turning took the least amount of time; putting on a finish took the most amount of time, especially when you take into account letting the CA cure over night during a couple of the stages. Polishing and assembly was a snap.

These are CSUSA Artisan Aero Blanks, and left to right are Australian Burl, Padauk, Ebony (thank you DielselDoc), and Spalted Hackberry (I think...could be Maple).

My apologies for the photography; just my iPhone with the pens laying on some white fabric.

It is good to be back at the lathe!View attachment 233763
Very nice indeed, good job.

PenPal

Every one magnificent finish,rare Ebony wonderful black.Love the natural colours of The Hackberry,Burl and Padauk.. IMHO there is nought wrong with your camera pics mate.Nice to say goodday on the phone earlier today.

Kind regards Peter.

ebill

- nice job on the Padauk(s). I find that sometimes it comes out kind of porous despite a variety of finishes. I've had some good ones but also some that look like sponges.

- ebill

Warren White

Thank you all for the kind words! I love this hobby and the friends that have come along with it. As for the finish, I was quite pleased. It is 3 coats of thin CA, followed a day later with 3 coats of medium, followed a day later with 3 more coats of thin. Let the blanks sit for another day, then sand at low speed with 400 grit, then go through MicroMesh (starting at low speed then gradually speeding up when I determine I am not sanding but am polishing). Then I polished the blanks with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

Again, thank you all.

Top Bottom