Baby takes hobby time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

So after my daughter was born in late February I have noticed my hobby time has gotten smaller and smaller. I try to maintain but I don't see it changing for a long while. Now I have a 11 yr old son but didn't have this hobby when he was young.

Been wondering if I should find a hobby I can do inside the house rather than a shop. So been thinking about selling some of my equipment, don't want it to sit and go to waste.

Decisions decisions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Congrats on the little one!

It will get better, hang on! We've got #3 due in late October and a move in the next 2 months so life's gonna be chaotic for a while for us. I'm happy to get a little shop time in over the next few months and basically figuring on taking 6 months off or so after the baby comes....any shop time will be a pleasant surprise if I set my mind right.

There's always youtube to watch at night to keep building ideas while life comes back to your new normal.

stonepecker

Just wait......they do grow up to the point that you can enjoy your hobby again.
Untill then, Don't forget we are here for support.

If we were closer......the wife would babysit. LOL

Notscottish

My "baby" just turned 18 and in a few short months will be off to college. While I will miss her, I anticipate more time for my hobbies.

Charlie_W

Don't sell off your equipment.........unless you really deep down want all new tools!:biggrin:
Even if you get to the shop sporadically, it can be your little respit from the everyday stuff. Also, your son will need some dad time which you can do while teaching him pen turning and general shop stuff!
The shop is a place where you and the kids can get into trouble!...in a good way!

lyonsacc

Don't sell. (my opinion). I have 13,11 & 8 year old. You may just have to change what you expect to be able to do with your hobby. There are literally times it takes me 2 months to make a pen. And then, on rare occasion, I can get 3 or 4 done on 1 week. There will be times when your wife goes to visit a friend or the in-laws and you may be left home alone (my favorite turning time). Also, your 11 year old is at a great age for turning. "sell" it to your wife as some good one-on-one time with your eldest. You will both (you and your son) appreciate it.

Dave

low_48

Yeah, you'll need a hobby to make more money!!!!!! Like a part time job! Kids are really just money pits, that may not stop for 25 years, maybe more these days. Don't get me started about college and marriage costs!

JimB

Congrats on your daughter. Don't sell anything! I stopped turning for 2 years because life got busy and I didn't have the time or energy. I just started turning again at the end of December after not even stepping foot into the shop for 2 years. I'm sure glad I didn't sell anything.

Bean_Counter

Congrats on the new one, I have a 6month old and a 2 year old. With little time to turn I do find myself up early and up late to get me some "me" time. My wife and I also take turns doing something we want to do just to get away for a little while. For me my kids are only this age once so I want to spend as much time with them as I can. My 2 year old is starting to get to cme out with me in the garage. We don't do much but watch him play with stuff but he is out there a d that's all that matters. Congrats again

Neededwill

Thanks all for the response. I should have also said my wife heavily supports my hobby and tells me to just go in the shop. But you find yourself wanting to do other things you don't get a chance too also. And since we take care of my wife's parents in our house that takes time in itself. Her dad has dementia and her mom has had a couple strokes so prior to newborn time was limited.

But I will see what road I take as the days go on.

Jim15

I say keep them for awhile. I have been unable to get much shop time in the last 4 years due to my wife's health problems but I'm glad now that I kept the tools as I'm now able to get back in the shop and I'm glad I kept the tools. It does sound like you have your hands full now thought. Your family will be in my prayers.

wob50

You have a lot on your plate ,but yes there are your children and soon they will be older and then they will be on there own . The tools can wait . Great job on all you do for them, and you wife's parents to, I know she loves you for helping her.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Randall:

I'll also vote to keep everything for a bit longer! BREATH!!!

Whatever you decide, it will be for the best, but what you get for a sale is inconsequential for what it could mean for 1-2 days a month of "Me-time." And in 6-18 months, things will settle down (actually, it will be worse with a toddler that wants to help sharpen your skew... :eek:).

Just speaking as a Day Care operator who for 25 years has seen... 500-600 Dads go through this... Even if only 1 day a month you get a few hours away, you will come back in better shape to do what your family needs... Keep just a bit for that time away; maybe not for yourself, but for your family... (Sorry to preach).

Keep all your tools in good working order; they will be there when needed. But... You will know what is best for you and your family!

Mark

Top Bottom