AZ Local Chapter First Meeting 11-15-08

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Every year a couple of local turners and myself have a day long turners gathering at my shop in SE Gilbert. It is very casual and a good time for all. We usually have 2 full sized lathes and one or two mini lathes set up.

This years gathering will be on Saturday 11-15-2008, and we were planning on having this as the first IAP Local chapter meeting. Usually we start at 8 AM and go until people leave (mid to late afternoon).

If you are interested in attending this gathering please PM me with your E-mail address and I will add you to the e-mail distro list. More details will follow as available.

If you have anything you would like to demonstrate or like to see demonstrated please let me know and I will see what we can arrange.

P.S. - Kevin McPeek and Jason Clark are co hosting this event and are fully authorized to answer any question.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jclark58

Tossing out a few ideas:

Instant Gallery
Blank exchange
Bandsaw safety :doctor: :biggrin:

Demos:
Hidden clip
Closed ended
CA finish

Jason

Demo suggestions

I like Jasons ideas, closed end, etc. I would also like to see some Resin Casting (Alumilite, PR, Acrylic) as well. Especially with the ribbons.

Whatever you fella's decide, is fine with me.
Steve

dubdrvrkev

Yeah, I'm still alive...
I have to admit, it's been awhile since I've turned a pen though. I guess I'll have to brush up before our little GTG.

One other thing we could keep in mind is that day also happens to be the neighborhood sponsored garage sale. So there may be a lot of traffic and some people may stop so you might price a few pieces... just incase. Definitely not the right market but you never know.

jclark58

Definitely not the right market. I had a few piece on a table at our last garage sale about a year ago. A big 17"+ mesquite bowl with a bit of tight curl was priced at $300. A woman approached, picked it up, turned and offered my wife $2 for it, believeing it was $3.00 not $300. We all had a good laugh after she left.

Jason

dubdrvrkev

Yeah, I had some ornaments out at an sale a few years ago, and I was only asking $20 for them and people were kind of shocked. One lady said "they're tops not ornaments" and I said "well you can do whatever you want to with it if you buy one." Needless to say she didn't... and I didn't care.
One other time I had a few pens out and a guy tried to pay Kim $7.50 for a set of Patriots that was marked $75.00, which I thought was a decent price anyway. He didn't speak English as a first language but shouldn't have made a difference with numbers.

dubdrvrkev

If anyone is looking for any certain type of blanks (pen or otherwise) post here and we can see if we can get an exchange organized, as Jason mentioned earlier.
Also if anyone needs baby food jars (for bushing, finish, filler sawdust etc. storage) let me know and I can save some.

vick

I sent out an e-mail today to everyone I had listed as wanting information. If you did not recieve the e-mail please PM me with your e-mail address and I will get it out to you.

Top Bottom