Awful Week - both Old and New definitions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. It has been an Awful week here for me in more ways than one.

The old definition: Exceedingly Great, Struck or filled with awe: On Wednesday I swapped out my old Medtronic 670G Insulin Pump for their new MiniMed 780G with SmartGuard and CGM Sensors. It's only been a couple of days, but so far I'm lovin this new pump and the automatic correction features it has.

The new definition: Exceedingly Bad, Very Unpleasant: We have had two Snowstorms this week with significant amounts of snow and winds gusting to 40 MPH. Tonight pretty much everything is at a standstill. They even called off the snowplows because they were getting stuck. For the most part all of the highways are closed in the area and the temperatures have been and are predicted to be around zero degrees F for the next 4 or 5 days, with winds continuing. Our cable TV has been out for a little over a day and our Internet has been out all day today. Both came back on just a short while ago so we have all been catching up with our online activities. Most of our subdivision has been without electricity most of the day today as well - fortunately our house is on the edge that didn't lose power.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. - Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smokey S

Greetings from Nebraska. It has been an Awful week here for me in more ways than one.

The old definition: Exceedingly Great, Struck or filled with awe: On Wednesday I swapped out my old Medtronic 670G Insulin Pump for their new MiniMed 780G with SmartGuard and CGM Sensors. It's only been a couple of days, but so far I'm lovin this new pump and the automatic correction features it has.

The new definition: Exceedingly Bad, Very Unpleasant: We have had two Snowstorms this week with significant amounts of snow and winds gusting to 40 MPH. Tonight pretty much everything is at a standstill. They even called off the snowplows because they were getting stuck. For the most part all of the highways are closed in the area and the temperatures have been and are predicted to be around zero degrees F for the next 4 or 5 days, with winds continuing. Our cable TV has been out for a little over a day and our Internet has been out all day today. Both came back on just a short while ago so we have all been catching up with our online activities. Most of our subdivision has been without electricity most of the day today as well - fortunately our house is on the edge that didn't lose power.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. - Dave
Dave, absolutely great to hear about the improvement with the new insulin pump. As far as the horrific weather, I pray that you and your family come through this unscathed. I am way down on the coast of South Texas and these northers are making it all the way down here for our few days of severe winter. We're going to have a few days getting down in the low 20s. Very much out of the ordinary for us. And by the way, just go ahead and ramble on my friend m. Just saying……..Smokey

Hey Dave. Sorry for all your going through but there was some good news in your report. Here in Ulm, it's a balmy -37 and supposed to get as low as -52, that's wind chill. Today I moved wood into the garage to fire up the wood stove. It got the house up to 68. I was happy but snow was less than 2" so thankfully no plowing. Hang tough, stay safe and warm. It will warm up again...some day.

TDahl

Dave, I am glad to hear about your new insulin pump and wishing you good health moving forward. As for the cold weather I pray that you all stay safe and warm.

rixstix

Glad the new pump is meeting/exceeding expectations.

Yep, weather is pretty yucky here too. We're not going to see above zero ambient 'til Tuesday when it is supposed to get to +3. Wind has been howling. We got a reprieve from the worst of the snow.

Lew

Dave, glad to hear your new insulin pump is doing good for you. Hang in there with the weather. It's going to be bad all over the country this week. We've had gusts up to 55 miles an hour here in south central Texas, but so far (knock on wood) the power is still on. Last year we were without power for almost 2 weeks with temps in the 20s. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Woodchipper

Born and raised in Ohio so I'm familiar with snow, wind, wind chill, etc. However, if you move to Florida or the Gulf Coast, you have hurricanes. We are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow Tuesday. Everything will shut down in a panic mode.

Dave, you likely have nothing between you and the north pole except a barbed wire fence... doesn't do much to keep the cold out.

We had a lot of wind last night, internet weather guesser said gust up to 80 mph... don't think we saw any of those, but definitly was windy.
Power dropped 2 or 3 times through the day... it's a pain having to reset all the clocks every few hours. Temp never got much below low to mid 30's and stayed that way all day. Never lived up on the high plains where you are, but we did spend a winter in the Texas panhandle back in the mid to late 50's... was first time I ever saw snow and figured out real quick I didn't like it. Keep safe, stay warm.

Congrats on the new insulin system... my wife was diabetic for about 15 or 20 years... type 2, she kept it under control with medication and insulin twice a day. I looked into one of the systems for her, but her doctor nixed saying it was all that accurate... sounds like you may be type 1.
here's sending you good vibes for good health and continued success with your insulin control.

derekdd

Dave, I'm glad to hear your new pump is working so well. Diabetes is an ongoing struggle and I wish you the best managing your health.

Up here in Northern WI, we received something like 10" of snow over the course of this week, I think, and it was pretty much white out conditions last night during my wife's drive from work.

I'm just glad to hear you weren't without power. I don't know if you have a backup plan like a generator or such, but we don't. Probably something I need to look into.

Be careful if you get out and move snow around.

Hippie3180

Dave, glad to hear your new insulin pump is doing good for you. Hang in there with the weather. It's going to be bad all over the country this week. We've had gusts up to 55 miles an hour here in south central Texas, but so far (knock on wood) the power is still on. Last year we were without power for almost 2 weeks with temps in the 20s. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Dave, glad to hear your new insulin pump is making life easier.

We haven't had snow here yet, but cold is coming. Was 60 degrees this morning, but will be in the 20's tomorrow with possible single digits for night time temps. Stay warm and hoping your power stays on.

Last edited:
Dave, I'm glad to hear your new pump is working so well. Diabetes is an ongoing struggle and I wish you the best managing your health.

Up here in Northern WI, we received something like 10" of snow over the course of this week, I think, and it was pretty much white out conditions last night during my wife's drive from work.

I'm just glad to hear you weren't without power. I don't know if you have a backup plan like a generator or such, but we don't. Probably something I need to look into.

Be careful if you get out and move snow around.
I agree with you on the generator. I've talked about it but haven't got off my butt to do anything about it. Maybe it's time. Thanks for reminding me. Still -30 at this writing but it's supposed to warm up to -17 tomorrow. We'll see. I think it's still to cold to snow.

Top Bottom