Awesome Wavy Ambrosia Spalted Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harpazo

Here's some great looking wood I acquired and wondering what would be best to use it for. Maybe pens would be too small to best show the figure. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's actually ambrosia maple. You can tell by the worm holes. The worms cause the colors in the wood. One of my favorite pens I ever made was a curly ambrosia maple pen.

Harpazo

That's actually ambrosia maple. You can tell by the worm holes. The worms cause the colors in the wood. One of my favorite pens I ever made was a curly ambrosia maple pen.

I stand corrected. I grabbed an older photo so I may still have some with the spalting as well.

BSea

Some of those larger pieces might be big enough for knife scales, and as Mike mentioned, bottle stoppers would look awesome. But I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to make some pens out of that.

Harpazo

Better Photo

Hopefully this is a better photo. Still no spalting though :redface:

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 140

Harpazo

A slimline pen from this wood

Here's a photo of a slimline using this Ambrosia maple. It, in fact, did have a bit of spalting going on. The beetle hole was filled with CA but it crystalized and isn't transparent as I would have wanted.

I wonder how it might look with some colored dyes. Yellow might look ok and still retain the other natural blue staining in the undyed wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 162
Top Bottom