Awabi Shell Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenHog

PenHog

The Awabi blank comes pre-drilled (update: made by Ron, purchased from Exotic Blanks) and I made end-pieces out of left-over Amedeo blue. The length is 4.875 inches (compared to 5.25 for Jr. George), so I used a Schmidt Short P8126 which accommodates this shorter length and can fit through the Jr. George head.

The pen shimmers in the light, although I'm unable to catch the effect with my smartphone. Made for my wife's bday, hopefully she will like it. Having constructed only kit pens, this was a fun exercise, and a small step towards making a fully kit-less pen.

Something that bothers me: the tip of P8126 is a wee short. Ideally, it would protrude 1 additional millimeter. Possibly a parker refill would work better; I avoided it this time because the springs for that refill look weak, but perhaps I'm mistaken. CC welcome.

-Max

Attachments

• july-2019-p2.jpg
    july-2019-p2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 194
  • july-2019-p1.jpg
    july-2019-p1.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 214
  • july-2019-p3.jpg
    july-2019-p3.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The Amadeus is a great match for the Abalone. Well done on the rest of the assembly. A very attractive pen. (I won't show this to Wifey) ;).

Thanks for sharing.

PenHog

Thanks for the comments, Mark and jttheclockman.

jttheclockman: I did *not* make the blank. Materials are:

- Awabi blank by Ron and purchased from Exotic Blanks. It looks like he makes a wide range of (very nice) blanks, and I'll be trying more in the future.
- Amedeo Blue purchased from Exotic Blanks.
- Different Jr. George components purchased either from Turners Warehouse, Exotic Blanks, or PSI (I can't remember)

Best,
-Max

jttheclockman

Thanks for the comments, Mark and jttheclockman.

jttheclockman: I did *not* make the blank. Materials are:

- Awabi blank by Ron and purchased from Exotic Blanks. It looks like he makes a wide range of (very nice) blanks, and I'll be trying more in the future.
- Amedeo Blue purchased from Exotic Blanks.
- Different Jr. George components purchased either from Turners Warehouse, Exotic Blanks, or PSI (I can't remember)

Best,
-Max
Thanks

Top Bottom