Autumn Custom Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

Here is the latest pen to roll out of my workshop. I have been hanging onto these couple of blanks for a couple of years waiting to make this pen.
Its 14.5mm diameter, 140mm long, 150mm capped. Cap threads are 14mm double start. Homemade stainless steel clip. #6 M steel JoWo nib and Schmidt converter.

DSC_0767 - Version 2.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0775 - Version 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Bonza, mate !!! . Congratulations !!

Pretty nice job there, Brad !!! . I really like the section done in the same material as the rest ... especially in THAT material ... it's beautiful !!!

You have also done a fine job on the clip !!! . (and the photography !!)

Ironwood

Thanks Mal, glad you like it mate.
The clips are a work in progress, I change it a little on every one I make, trying to get something I like.

PFMan

wow!! Beautiful pen!!

and you did a really good job with the clip!

Just cut a piece of steel and shape it?

Jordi

Ironwood

wow!! Beautiful pen!!

and you did a really good job with the clip!

Just cut a piece of steel and shape it?

Jordi
Thanks Jordi.
I use old hose clamps for my clips. This one came off a 500mm air cooling duct. The stainless steel band is 1.1mm thick and 22mm wide, so I get plenty of clips out of one clamp.
I use a a 1mm disc on my angle grinder to cut out the shape. Then files, sandpaper and buffing wheel to finish off.
I find this thickness is a bit too stiff, I prefer the springiness of clamps around 0.9mm thick. These thick ones give the clip a substantial look though. I have been experimenting with narrower clips to try and get some springiness in these thicker clamps. I am still trying to find something I am happy with.

howsitwork

beautiful all round. Especially the polished and curved clip. Do you make the clip like a commercial one with a centre hole or with a spigot to inset ? Stunning result either way .

Ian

PenHog

Super nice, of course!

I'm curious: did you think about using a gold-colored metal for the clip and nib? Would seem to fit the autumn color scheme (just my own personal, novice opinion).

Ironwood

beautiful all round. Especially the polished and curved clip. Do you make the clip like a commercial one with a centre hole or with a spigot to inset ? Stunning result either way .

Ian
Thanks Ian.
I shape the clip so it has a ring on the end that goes into the cap. I drill a 9mm hole to suit the finial.

Ironwood

Super nice, of course!

I'm curious: did you think about using a gold-colored metal for the clip and nib? Would seem to fit the autumn color scheme (just my own personal, novice opinion).
Thanks BH.
I make my clips out of stainless steel, so they are all silver. I guess gold might blend with the resin colours a bit better, but I don't have any gold to work with.

Ironwood

I'm still not fully onboard with the square crop thing for instagram, I usually take my pen photos so they fill most of the frame, and theres no room to crop them to square afterwards.
So I took some more pics this morning to suit the square format. I used a flash in a softbox directly above the pen.
The original photos were taken in my lightbox.

These photos are now on my instagram page.
DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0808.jpg

DSC_0809.jpg

DSC_0810.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0816.jpg

Ironwood

Here are a couple of pics cropped to 16:9 using the same lighting.
I think I prefer viewing with this crop rather than square. What do you think ?

DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

Top Bottom