August Meeting - 14th overall.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

It's about time to start thinking about our next meeting. So, does anyone have any ideas for a date in August? About the only issue I know about is SWAT (Southwest Association of Turners). It's the 22nd thru the 24th in Waco. I think a few people are planning to go, but any other weekend should be fair game. I checked with Pete, and he said any Saturday in August should work fine. And since they have A/C, and plenty of room, I think that's our best option.

So does anyone have a preferred weekend, or one that they can't make it? I'm pretty open as of right now, so any Saturday works for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

I'll be in DC 7-11 for the pen show there, but the ones after that should work. :) I'd like to make it to one of these - haven't been in a while.

Conway

I will be in Waco for SWAT, so any Saturday but 23rd will work for me. I like the idea of a pen swap @ each meeting...I think it gets good dialog going..the idea of a modified slimline was an excellent idea...maybe we could do that again! I go to Texarkana once a month & each time they have a show & tell, that is also very interesting and will give you ideas to push your own "envelope" so to speak...I assume we are going to be able to have the "mixing" demo in August? As soon as the date is set send me an e-mail!
Thanks in advance!:cowboy:

Dustygoose

Ill be off the 2nd , 9th , and 23rd. Weekend of 9th not good for me as it's my 1 year anniversary. The 23 prolly be best for me. But may change as we are looking to relocate to south Louisiana for work .

BSea

So far it looks like the 2nd is the only date available for everyone that's responded. Anybody have a problem with the 2nd?

As far as the PR demo, it will still depend on the weather. It has such a strong odor, we need a well ventilated area, or we need to do it outdoors. And as long as we can stay close to 90, it should work outside if we're shaded. But if it gets much warmer than 90, it can really mess with casting.

TDE

I wasn't going to say anything because the 2nd is the only Saturday I can be there. If it winds up on the second I look forward to seeing everyone. Ted:)

BSea

I talked to Pete today. Everything is on go for the 2nd. He suggested that we have a cookout similar to what we do at Maumelle Park. So everyone bring what you want to cook. And maybe a side dish or dessert. He said he'd supply the drinks, so we don't have to bring coolers.

We still need some ideas for demos though. And is everyone ok with a basic pen swap? For those who are coming for the 1st time. We have a suggested $10 limit on the pen kit & materials. Of course you can spend more, but normally we are pretty good staying around that limit.

DLGunn

I would like to see a custom finial demo, or a custom center ring demo (like the ones on a Jr Gent), or a segmenting demo.

Apologies if these have been done/mentioned before. This will be my first meeting so I will be happy just being there.

BSea

Here's Pete's post from the February meeting with directions. It's easy to find.

"Address is 12 W. Cadron Ridge Road, Greenbrier AR 72058. Directions: coming from Little Rock, get off exit 125, turn right, go 4.5 miles turn left on W. Cadron Ridge Road, log cabin 2nd house on the right. Point of contact Phone #501-428-8740. Come one come all, welcome."

As far as demo's, we're planning on a PR casting demo. I guess I could do a custom finial. That's a pretty short demo (my favorite kind):)

BSea

Just a reminder that tomorrow's meeting is a cookout. So bring what you want to cook. I think this should be another decent turnout with several new people.

Knucklefish

Bad news for me anyway

Sorry to report but I had to pull together a really quick recruiting event for our tax school on Sat and Sun at McCain mall and have to be there to make sure things go well. I hate that I can't make the meeting so take a bunch of pics please!
John

Can't make this one...

Well, {say that slowly with a drawl}, (it's also a deep subject):laugh: Unfortuanately it looks like I am going to be unable to attend this one...I really wanted/needed to be there to see the casting demo in person. Please
forgive the short notice & tell 'Ol Randall I said hello....

SDB777

I took photo's...after a few more 'brown-ish colored bottles with some funny, yummy liquid', I'll download them, get them all squished up(to fit on flickr), and load a couple!

Scott (my puppy didn't miss me that much) B

SDB777

The Arkansas Chapter of IAP held it's quarterly meeting today(8-2-2014), and we had a nice turn out. A few couldn't make it....it happens.

Any way, we had a start time of 10am, and people always get to these meetings early. Just call us 'eager'!!!

Started out by letting the yougnest member of the group turn a pen! She chose a piece of ERC to go on this Gold Slim. With very little instruction she produced her treasure!

With the temps about where they needed to be for the PR demo, Lyn started in. Plenty of questions were asked, and plenty of answers were given. Forgive, I didn't take notes...so if you missed the demo, sorry!
{Please excuse the pano photo, if a person moves the camera can't make up for it}

Then came time for some grillin', some more talkin', and the pen swap! Of course a few had to make the return trips to their homes for whatever reason. But ya missed out! Bob gave some guidance during a demo/training for a replacement custom finial.

I took more photo's, as always, but these should do!

Scott (who else had fun) B

BSea

I had fun too!!

Thanks for Ratis & Pete for hosting. Even though the temps weren't all that hot, the A/C made things perfect. For those that have missed both meeting there, you really missed out. They have a meeting room, 2 different shops (that I know of) 5 lathes (yes 5), and room for at least 50.

No decisions were made for the next meeting, or what we might do for our next trade. But I'm ready for a theme swap to make it a little more interesting.

TDE

I always have fun when we get together. I'd like to thank Pete and Mr. Radis for allowing us to use there wonderful shops. Good to see everyone who made it but I sure wanted more new members to be there. Hope the next one falls on my days off too. Ted

DLGunn

I had a blast and so did my daughter Daveena. She said thank you to everyone for being so nice. A big thanks to the guys for hosting this and thank you to Teddy for driving us down there.

We are already looking forward to the next one.

Hawker 1

Sorry for being so late in saying thanks to the Host and all others for good food,good company and was sorry to have to leave early mmmm after eating of course. Had workers at the new place to check on. The move is almost done but then a lot of sprucing up to do at the old place to put it on the market. Thanks again and look forward to another meet.

Top Bottom