Ashes to finished kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tinyjames

Tinyjames

It started out a disaster and I hope it finish as a win win.

So about two weeks ago I was turning a burl pen but turned the cap too thin and when I screwed it to the main barrel it broke away. So I left it in the kitchen to just look at and work out how to repair it and make my pen out of the wood I had bought as it was made with the last blank the supplier had.

20210316_140536.jpg

So while I was waiting to think of a way to repair I decided to make another kitless pen so I started this pen BUT just as I was finishing it my chisel caught the edge of the cap and again the un-thinkable happened yep it broke away again in the same place as before

20210316_140549 (2).jpg

Then Vallyboy posted his Italian pen and there it was the answer of a finished pen
20210316_140700.jpg

20210316_140644 (2).jpg

20210316_140634 (2).jpg

Hope you enjoy, C&C welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

So is there a question you want an answer to ???

It appears you threaded wood ..... and it looks like that wood might even be a wood burl.

That's a VERY, very dicey and uncertain process unless you are using certain specific wood species that will adequately stand up to threading.

Looks like your wood is kind of a burl. . Almost all burls will crumble ..... don't attempt to thread burls. .
Selected portions of some pieces of Honduran Rosewood Burl of appropriate thickness MIGHT be one exception.

Your second attempt ..... with the greenish "acrylic" ..... well, the material looks to be just too thin for reliable threading.

You show an apparently successful example from Valleyboy, and you say .....

"Then Vallyboy posted his Italian pen and there it was the answer of a finished pen"

I don't think this provides any "answer" at all. .
For one thing, we don't know any details of Valleyboy's pen geometry or thread sizes ....
and, for that matter, we don't know much about yours either.
So, we can't really make any comparisons and are therefore no further "out of the dark".

Good luck with your future attempts, and when you post in future, .....
please provide further details of your work, specifying your materials, thread sizes, etc.

Last edited:

jalbert

"Then Vallyboy posted his Italian pen and there it was the answer of a finished pen"

I don't think this provides any "answer" at all. .
For one thing, we don't know any details of Valleyboy's pen geometry or thread sizes ....
and, for that matter, we don't know much about yours either.
So, we can't really make any comparisons and are therefore no further "out of the dark".
Pretty sure he is referring to how the other guy tackled the issue of marrying wood and acrylic together. You don't HAVE to have a measure drawing to work these things out. sometimes ya just make it up yourself

Kcimdrib

I just hope Wales win tonight that should please Valleyboy in the 6 Nations much more important. And England today leaves me speechless.
Now back to making a pen.

magpens

Pretty sure he is referring to how the other guy tackled the issue of marrying wood and acrylic together. You don't HAVE to have a measure drawing to work these things out. sometimes ya just make it up yourself

Thanks John.

But it seems to me that you do have to measure SOME things as you do "the marrying" .... in other words, it is nice to get "the match" right ... or close !!!

Top Bottom