As good as gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Long story but I traded this for some kits and bushings.
10 elegant Americans and 5 Navigators( Baron)
Whitetail antler
Gold casing
PArker refill.
The "flat top" is Fangars design but I am using it whether he likes it or not:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Eagle, I think you were robbed! [}:)][;)]
Do you know the cost of a PK mon par kit?
The antler was free
the casings get plated for pens to my jewler buddy( when he feels like doing them
I think it was a good trade when you figure I plan on selling the pens I make from the deal.[^]
I appreciate your compliment.[:D]

Fangar

Great job as always Eagle. I think people are missing the point that it is a parker too! I haven't finished my parker conversion yet, but will when I get some time.

FLAT TOP... Use it... I like it alot.

Fangar

KenV

7mm Remington Mag Shell casing?? I see the belt on the casing and there are not a lot of 24/25 caliber mags other than weatherby (and that is not a weatherby)

Do you anneal the case head before drilling, or just power through the hard brass??

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by KenV
<br />
7mm Remington Mag Shell casing?? I see the belt on the casing and there are not a lot of 24/25 caliber mags other than weatherby (and that is not a weatherby)

Do you anneal the case head before drilling, or just power through the hard brass??
You're right it's not a weatherby.
You're wrong it's not a Remington.
Have know idea about annealing brass, I drill it on the lathe with a beall collet.
Hard brass?
Nope sharp bit, no problrm Drill Dr. takes care of that

KenV

Thanks Eagle --

Closer look and reference to my reloading manuals, more probably a 300 Winchester Mag -- or the like. That would suggest the slimline style. There are a number of 30-06 casings in the garage that my father sent me via his "policing the brass" from the American Legion Honor Guard activity. They shot blanks which were made from rejects with flawed primer pockets. They should make good pens though....

Reloaders anneal brass necks to avoid splitting during the sizing processes. Heat the brass to a dull read and dump it into water. Normally you do not want to soften the head of a shell, but it would make drilling easier.

In reading through past threads, I did not find any reference to any silver solder or high-force solder being used to bond the brass tubes to the shell casings. Will have to try that, as it would provide a more positive long term connection than most of the glues. I have a bag of slimline style parts to experiment with.

Please keep on showing pictures of pens and jigs. I enjoy the puzzles you provide for me to try to solve with the photos. I am not interested in coppying what you do, (as if I could), but always appreciate your sharing what did not work. I just go the same place more carefully.

Blessings!!!

Rifleman1776

Eagle said: "Have know idea about annealing brass, I drill it on the lathe with a beall collet.
Hard brass?
Nope sharp bit, no problrm Drill Dr. takes care of that"
Annealing is opposite of hardening for steel. Brass work hardens with use. Annealing is done to keep soft and maleable for repeated reloading and avoiding splitting and separation problems. The common process is to place cases standing up in about an inch of water. Using a propane torch heat the shoulder and neck area to bright red then tip into the water. Not necessary to anneal the head. Soft brass is harder to drill than hard as it grabs the bit. Sharp and slow is the way to go. Different drill bits and angle of cutting edges can make a difference. Eagle seems to have hit the right combo.

BigRob777

Eagle,
Very nice. It makes me want to take down my rack, from my first deer and turn some pens. My wife doesn't like it anyway. I don't hunt anymore, so it is the only one I will ever get. I may still do it, though.
Rob

airrat

Not a huge fan of bullet pens, probably due to never doing one lol. I know dont make a judegment till you try it.

Yours look great. One day I do need to try one. Will probably like it and become hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom