As a seller, do you warranty your pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R. C. Rutter

Greetings all,

I'm new to pen turning and envision a time where I will be selling pens.
Do you warranty your pens?
What does the warranty include?
What does the warranty exclude?

Do any pen kit suppliers warranty their parts?
How does that transfer to the end customer?

After reading the Library today, I am concerned that the plating will wear off.
Is there anything that can be done to prolong the life of the plating?

Thanks,
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

For the past many years, at about 500 pens per year, I have told my customers that all of my pens carried a lifetime warranty. I have never failed to repair or replace a damaged or worn pen that a customer has sent me or brought to my booth. I have even repaired pens (if I had the components available) that I had not sold. I also pay postage - both directions. If the customer has paid postage to send me the pen, I will include cash to cover the postage when I return the pen. I believe this is the best kind of advertising you can do.
Of course at my present age that "lifetime" warranty may not be worth as much as it once was.

henry1164

For the past many years, at about 500 pens per year, I have told my customers that all of my pens carried a lifetime warranty. I have never failed to repair or replace a damaged or worn pen that a customer has sent me or brought to my booth. I have even repaired pens (if I had the components available) that I had not sold. I also pay postage - both directions. If the customer has paid postage to send me the pen, I will include cash to cover the postage when I return the pen. I believe this is the best kind of advertising you can do.
Of course at my present age that "lifetime" warranty may not be worth as much as it once was.
You are most likely NOT using cheap kits. What kits do you turn and sell? Thanks.

larryc

First - do not call them kits. Some venues, when they hear the word "kit" they think of airplane kits and won't l let you in. Component set, or canvas for the blank and frame for the components.
I learned early that sticking to one brand for configuration made it simpler if a pen was returned. As an example, there is only one Sierra. There are others but the threads don't always match. Stick with quality. You and your customers will appreciate it.

I warranty both my pens and knives. My warranties do not cover refills obviously. I've never had a pen returned and after well over 200 knives I've only had two returned due to abuse/misuse. I still fixed the knives at no charge but I also let the person know that my warranty clearly states that abuse or misuse of the knives/pens voids the warranty.

Argo13

I have sold about 400 or so pens the last few years total. mostly Sierra style, cigars, bolt action , etc. (6-15 dollar kits) I don't have any written warranty but always tell people to contact me if they ever have an issue. I've had 3 calls. No major repairs, I don't charge to fix. 2 of the 3 have ordered more pens. It is the Cost of doing business and is well worth for my reputation.

Jason

Chasper

I sell a large number of pens every year, unless there is a pandemic in process. I've never used the word warranty because it has legal ramifications, I often use these words, "We make them, we can fix them, as simple as that. If anything ever goes wrong with your pen, get in touch with us." That statement is intentionally open ended.

I sometimes tell people not to run over the pen with their car, and don't run it through a washing machine or dishwasher. Although I did put a resin pen in the dishwasher once, it came out clean with no apparent damage. I've repaired many pens that I did not make, and others have repaired pens I did make.

R. C. Rutter

I sell a large number of pens every year, unless there is a pandemic in process. I've never used the word warranty because it has legal ramifications, I often use these words, "We make them, we can fix them, as simple as that. If anything ever goes wrong with your pen, get in touch with us." That statement is intentionally open ended.

I sometimes tell people not to run over the pen with their car, and don't run it through a washing machine or dishwasher. Although I did put a resin pen in the dishwasher once, it came out clean with no apparent damage. I've repaired many pens that I did not make, and others have repaired pens I did make.
That's a really good idea. Thanks Chasper

robutacion

In my opinion and without going in any great detail, Larry's "principles" are similar to mine in relation to what I sell, the better the quality of the materials used, the lesser the chances of something going wrong unless "blunt" abuse and hat is normally perfectly visible/clear.

Cheers
George

leehljp

Member Liaison
I like the way the descriptions above are going. Gerry (Chasper) and Larry both said it clearly.

That kind of "warranty" or promises has some implied information in it: Quality (Fittings and Finishes) and Artistic. I have seen numerous times on this forum, and at a few shows, the inexpensive $15 & $20 slimlines. The low priced pens are a result of "let me make a buck" attitude with "the least amount of time, energy and fit & finish." You can believe that these guys will not offer a warranty anywhere near Gerry's and Larry's.

Once into the quality and artistic category, there is a price point that will basically cover the cost of repair or replacement. It also puts the pens into the hands of people who will be more protective of their pen. This is not to imply that by merely raising the prices without the quality will allow one to give a lifetime warranty. I know of "slimline component pens" that were selling for $40 - $50+ each - 10 - 15 years ago. They were of quality and artistic value. I don't sell pens in retail stores, but as an example, my slimline component pens will go for minimum of $40.00 but often $50+.

It may cost more to replace a pen than the profits made - in some instances, but the promotion, publicity or good will generated will more than pay for itself in the long run, and your name will be synonymous with quality and integrity, - bringing back repeat buys and orders.

I too will fix for free.

Ironwood

I always fix any problem with any of my pens for free, a bit of goodwill goes a long way.
I even replace refills for free for some of my best customers, jokingly referring to it as warranty work.
Most of my pens have enough profit margin to allow for a few refills, and the rapport this generates, pays off with more sales.

Top Bottom