As a newby, I am enjoying penturning as I thought I never would

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lew

I started turning pens a few months ago and I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed the process: learning to use the tools, reading about the different techniques and processes especially here on the IAP site, finding out how different woods look when they are turned, learning how to use acrylics, and generally trying new things.

There are so many variations in pen turning that I can now understand why some people rarely turn to anything else. After reading an article on segmenting on IAP, for example, I took from the trash some scraps from some cutting boards I had made, glued them together and made what I call quilted pens because they look like the quilts my mother makes. I have learned how to correct my mistakes by gluing onto the tube new sections of material and calling it a "design element". And people love my pens. I'm nowhere near good enough to try selling them yet but the enjoyment is there.

I can't say enough about the quality of the articles here on the IAP forum. They have introduced me to so many new aspects of pen turning that I don't know if I'll ever get to all of them, but I'm going to enjoy the challenge.

Thank you all for the encouragement in your articles and posts!

Attachments

• 1213200857.jpg
    1213200857.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 1212201722.jpg
    1212201722.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

The quilted pen looks amazing... and your enthusiasm is something I bet everyone on this site can understand. You're in the right place my friend!

Reactions: Lew

magpens

Nice work !!

I like your innovative segmenting !!

You might try some bigger pens for more success with segmenting. . Suggested examples = Sierra for single barrel; and, Jr. Gent for double barrel ...... but there are plenty of other possibilities you will find if you do some browsing on the vendor websites.

leehljp

Member Liaison
One of the great things about being new in pen turning is the freshness you have - that sometimes we long timers forget. Sometimes, we forget why we changed tools or sharpening methods or finishes or sandpaper etc. And those new to pen making have just experienced it and are, in those situations, the best teachers. Jump in and help others. You have considerable experience in other fields under your belt too. Share them with us. A number of people here make cutting boards also; show us some of yours if you have time,

Welcome and enjoy!

Lew

Nice work !!

I like your innovative segmenting !!

You might try some bigger pens for more success with segmenting. . Suggested examples = Sierra for single barrel; and, Jr. Gent for double barrel ...... but there are plenty of other possibilities you will find if you do some browsing on the vendor websites.
Thanks. I'll definitely give those a try.
One of the great things about being new in pen turning is the freshness you have - that sometimes we long timers forget. Sometimes, we forget why we changed tools or sharpening methods or finishes or sandpaper etc. And those new to pen making have just experienced it and are, in those situations, the best teachers. Jump in and help others. You have considerable experience in other fields under your belt too. Share them with us. A number of people here make cutting boards also; show us some of yours if you have time,

Welcome and enjoy!
Thanks for the kind words. Here is one of my cutting boards. Sorry the photo is not the best, but it will give you an idea of the type of thing I've done.

Attachments

• 0801201237.jpg
    0801201237.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 142

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks. I'll definitely give those a try.

Thanks for the kind words. Here is one of my cutting boards. Sorry the photo is not the best, but it will give you an idea of the type of thing I've done.
IF YOU CAN DO THAT, you can make a pen! WOW!

sorcerertd

Love the cutting board. Have been wanting to do one. It's on the "round tuit" list, along with so many things. Some day...

The pens look great for you just getting started. Great use of scrap wood, too! If you don't feel comfortable with the quality for selling yet, and you do sell cutting boards, I'll bet a pen would make a great little extra gift to go with them while you practice and even get them to check with you in the future if they want to purchase a pen.

Kcimdrib

They look great but looks like you used a Slimline Kit nothing wrong with that but try a different kit with more thickness makes laminating easier and allows more creativity but well done and keep going.
Regards from the UK

howsitwork

Lew a warm welcome .

both sets of work look good.

Slim lines are challenging , as has been said others for segmenting give more all thickness and hence more chance fo success. I do enjoy them though as they're so damn exacting, NOT to say other styles are not but each to their own challenge.

Top Bottom