Artists sketch pencil segmented blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 1shootist

1shootist

I really thought these colors would look better together.....though I did accomplish my main goal of finishing a segmented blank.
Tulip wood in the center (from the blanks purchased from IAP fundraiser- thats a great assortment of blanks) 3/8" aluminum on each side followed by ebony on the ends. 9 coats of thin / medium ca.

I sandpapered the aluminum north to south which gave it a dull, matte look. I should have polished it to a shine then I could have used a chrome kit and it would look somewhat better.
And I need to find some thinner aluminum...3/8 was all that I had on hand.
It was fun getting my feet wet building up the blank with a simple segment...đź‘Ť

Thanks all !

PSX_20191007_105347.jpg
PSX_20191007_102929.jpg
PSX_20191007_102852.jpg
PSX_20191007_110300.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

I think that is a very nice combination of materials and a great looking finished product!
I have 5 of those kits to turn and this gave me some interesting ideas.
Thank you for sharing!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Russ, if you had not specifically noted the aluminum segments I would have guessed some type of alternate material. I see nothing wrong for your choices of materials, very appealing. That is a very attractive pencil!
You also did a fine job to get the end caps to equal dimensions - well done. This is often overlooked, but not a difficult process with some good measurements.

These simpler segmenting projects really leads you into a multiple of possibilities.

The Tulipwood is sweet!!! ;)

Thanks for sharing.

1shootist

I think that is a very nice combination of materials and a great looking finished product!
I have 5 of those kits to turn and this gave me some interesting ideas.
Thank you for sharing!
Thanks.
I bought 5 recently when they were on sale...I think I'm going to use the others to experiment more with
segmenting..this was fun.

1shootist

Russ, if you had not specifically noted the aluminum segments I would have guessed some type of alternate material. I see nothing wrong for your choices of materials, very appealing. That is a very attractive pencil!
You also did a fine job to get the end caps to equal dimensions - well done. This is often overlooked, but not a difficult process with some good measurements.

These simpler segmenting projects really leads you into a multiple of possibilities.

The Tulipwood is sweet!!! ;)

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate it !

jttheclockman

I too like the look and you accomplished what you set out to do. My eyes always perk up when I read segmented pens or pencils. as far as different thickness metals i can give you a few places if interested but the easiest place to find thin 1/4",1/8", 1/16" and thinner aluminum (roof flashing) is Home Depot, Lowes or any home center.

Top Bottom