Arthritis pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Goat

Old Goat

Got asked to make a pen for someone as a gift to his father with bad arthritis and he described what they wanted - very large base/bulb to make it easy to hold on to. I looked up a few on the internet but they are all mass manufactured so I prototyped this one up. Has anyone else made these and any comments or suggestions would be great? I'm going to show them on Tuesday to see if it's what they were looking for.

Attachments

• 20230312_152157.jpg
    20230312_152157.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 78
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The shape is not what a penturner would typically do, but it is an incredible asset to be able to use a pen with as less discomfort as possible. I suspect this individual is elderly and still uses a pen more so than younger folks. Kudo's to you! I have made several 'Cigar' Kit Pens where the request was for a lower section about twice the typical dimension, not as bulbous as yours, but the recipients were happy.

Drewby108

I wish I remembered the user's name, but I know at least one person has done multiple pens specifically for arthritis sufferers.

KMCloonan

I have made numerous "Generous Proportion" pens (John shared a link to one above). I am not certain if my buyer had arthritis or other difficulty, but he bought 22 pens of this type from me over two years.

My only comments on this style pertain if you want to do any segmenting in the design - you (obviously) need to start with a larger blank than normal, and you end up removing less wood, so any imperfections, or gaps in the wood that would normally be turned away as you thin the blank do not typically go away. Same with any chevrons on the ends, or Celtic knots - just know that you are removing very little wood during the turning, so your knots or chevrons may not "emerge" from the blank as they would normally.

Old Goat

Yeah, I made this one from a poplar dowel since I didn't have any blanks large enough. I made the center band from an old acrylic blank end piece so you can see the difference in size.

Top Bottom