Arsenic and Old Lace

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska!

This is my take on an Arsenic and Old Lace pen (Black Poisonwood and Lacewood). The kit is an Antique Brass and Black Cigar Kit from Exotic Blanks with a simple segmented blank of Black Poisonwood (Chechen), and Lacewood, using slices of Purpleheart to divide the segments. It was turned using Ed's Improved Fit Cigar bushings and it was finished with my standard CA regimen which includes wet sanding with MicroMesh.

Black Poisonwood, also known as Chechen or Caribbean Rosewood, is indigenous to the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Jamaica, and southeastern Mexico. It is a brown – reddish brown wood. The name Black Poisonwood comes from its toxic sap, which turns black and causes severe skin reactions similar to poison ivy. The wood itself is safe to handle as it is only the liquid sap that is toxic. (But I did take precautions to avoid breathing any of the sanding dust).

Lacewood comes from South America and is sometimes called Brazilian Lacewood. It has a very conspicuous flecking that gives the wood its namesake. The name "Lacewood" is often used very loosely and is applied (or misapplied) to a number of different wood species such as Leopardwood and even Australian Silky Oak because they have similar flecking.

Of course the name of the pen is a play on words relating to the 1940's play and Frank Capra film (starring Cary Grant) where the Brewster family sisters attract bachelors with a "Room for Rent" sign and then poison them with a glass of their special elderberry wine (which is spiked with arsenic, strychnine, and cyanide).

No elderly bachelors were harmed in the making of this pen!

Dave

IMG_4399 Cropped.jpg

IMG_4394 Cropped.jpg
I removed the clip and bent it a little so it closes tighter against the body, but not before this picture was taken.

IMG_4395 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4396 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4397 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom