Arizona Ash for turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Earlier this afternoon I got my hands on abig log about 10-12" in dia. and 20-24" long of Arizona Ash, it is very green as it was just chopped off. wondering if this log is good for penmaking or turning bowl or other stuff?
any help would be apprecited.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
From the size of it, you can get some good bowls out of it. Split it down the middle, removing the pith, and coat the ends with anchor seal, wax, or even a thick coating of latex paint. This will keep the ends from checking.
As for pens, ash can be a plain looking wood, sometimes it can have some interesting grain, almost wavy.

ldb2000

Sorry Phillip , I don't know anything about Arizona Ash but I do agree with Manny on how to treat it so it don't check or crack . The only ash I've ever worked was a plain non figured piece that I used as jam chucks for making some kitless pens . It worked great , was very stable and I got several uses from them .

wb7whi

So, if someone were to say that stuff is firewood you wouldn't give it a try anyway. See this kind of question all the time and I dont understand it.

I get a strange piece of wood and I jam it on the lathe then decide later if it was really good wood or just wood.

Ok, going back on my meds now

fernhills

Hi, Ash is a nice wood. It has some figure and grain. I turned a couple pens with it and i guess it compares to most plain woods category but sometimes that is eloquent outcome.
It is a stable wood and one of the few woods that don`t require a long time to use after harvesting.

ldb2000

Most Olive woods turn great and have nice grain to them so this stuff might be very nice for bowls and maybe even pens . You should split it and seal it to dry it . You could rough turn it green to bowl shapes then let it dry and see what happens .

phillywood

To all of you guys, I apprecaite it. Tony thank you for the link it was helpful very much. And, Wayne, for your information, I have declaired to be a newbie, and I'll find out by asking and trying. Now, go back to your Meds.,LOL

wb7whi

To all of you guys, I apprecaite it. Tony thank you for the link it was helpful very much. And, Wayne, for your information, I have declaired to be a newbie, and I'll find out by asking and trying. Now, go back to your Meds.,LOL

I did and the world is a nicer, kinder, gentler place. :biggrin:

Top Bottom