Are you ready kids ? Arrrgh!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Aye Aye Captain !!!
I Can't hear you !!!
Ohhhhh....who lives in a pineapple under the sea ?
Spongebob Square Pants !
Absorbent and yellow and porous is he.
Spongebob Square Pants !
If nautical nonsense is something you wish.
Spongebob Square Pants !
Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish.
Spongebob Square Pants !
Ready !?!?

Spongebob Square Pants! Spongebob Sqare pants!
Spongebob Square Pants!

Spongebob Square Pantssss !!!!!!

hehe...This is Spongebob with pen in storage mode.
SB1.jpg

This is Spongebob with Gary removed to access pen. Gary is held in place on top and on base by a magnet
SB2.jpg

This is Spongebob pen while in use but needed right this second..the pen can be placed in SB's hands.
SB3.jpg

A close up of Gary, Spongebob's pet snail. Meow !
SB4.jpg

This is a concept that I changed many times over in my mind. I used a sedona rollerball in the end because of it's slimmer size. I did not want a fountain pen to potentially leak inside spongebob, or the nib be damaged during storage or falling out of his hands perhaps...a necessary precaution! The cap tube and insert are down in the bottom of Spongebob, so the pen can be twisted into his body. Thanks for looking. Go grab the kids!

Last edited:

workinforwood

Lower tube insertion

The lower tube not only holds the threaded insert but also gives strength between the legs and body. This is what it looked like after drilling into the legs. I about pee'd myself while drilling this..it is drilled after legs are assembled..omg those walls are thin!!! :eek::eek::eek: I do not own a big fancy drill press...my drill press is a bench model that I bought at a box store about 10 yrs ago for $50. It has no power, but it's accurate no doubt about that!

Attachments

• sponge 002.jpg
    sponge 002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 462

workinforwood

Very cool Jeff. That brought a big smile :biggrin: How many different woods and what types did you use?

It is Brazilian Satinwood, Bubinga, Ebony, Bloodwod, Sumac, Holly, Maple, Blue Mahoe, Pear, Padouk and one more that is at the tip of my tongue but I can't remember. So that's 11 wood types. Plywood under the base. Black marker, and inlace with a bluish green pearlex tint. Oh...I guess the eyes and dowels are a different wood too..probably birch is my guess. The eyes were maple plugs. Technically his eyes free float, but I don't have any balls that small :wink:, and if his eyes were to float then they are at risk of breaking, so Gary's eyes are plugs drilled into his shell. One eye is a bit higher than the other, but it doesn't make any difference if they are even or way off, because he's Gary...same as Spongebob, you can make his eyes go any direction you want!

S

spiritwoodturner

Unfreakinbelievable! My kids (10 and 11-HUGE Spongebob maniacs) went nuts. When they asked me if I could make them both one of those, I just said "You must be joking".

Amazing.

Dale

Ligget

You had to post that just when I put a couple of pictures of my pens up, now you have all the attention!! LOL :crying::biggrin::biggrin:

All joking aside that is AWESOME work you done, absolutely fantastic in my opinion, a definate front page picture I`m sure! :worship: :highfive:

workinforwood

I haven't seen the front page picture change in quite some time...must be down to once a month with that. Appreciate the comments though. It took me 3 weeks of mental thought to figure this pen out and then 3 days to build it. It is more of a practice run than anything else, because I have a concept for a personal design that I really want to try and do in the not to far off future. This way I am able to practice the 360 degree intarsia process while at the same time keeping it somewhat simple and relatively square.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
They say that there is a very slim line between genius and insanity. I'm not sure where exactly this fits in, but I like it so I'm not too sure where I fit in there either.:):confused::rolleyes::)

bitshird

Jeff, that is way over the top, I'm just glad my Daughter doesn't look on here there's no way I would try and make one of those, Man you da Man.

OKLAHOMAN

They say that there is a very slim line between genius and insanity. I'm not sure where exactly this fits in, but I like it so I'm not too sure where I fit in there either.:):confused::rolleyes::)

I've been telling Jeff for a year now that his mind spins in a different direction than most!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::eek::confused::rolleyes:

Pen Maker

Make it a sneeker, forstner out Gary and put one of them little clocks in him. People with think he's just a clock. Imagine their surprize when you pull a pen out of his lil' noggin.

Top Bottom