April Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

traderdon55

It looks like our next meeting is going to have to be April 30th at John's house in Texarkana ,TX. This appears to be the only weekend he is able to host the meeting. As we always do we will plan to start at 10:00 A.M. and have a pot luck lunch. We hope to cover a lot of information on casting at this meeting . I will be sharing what little I know(that should take all of 5 minutes).We are lucky to have John(Rangertrek) and James(Phunky_2003) coming to share their expertise why us as they have quite a bit of casting experience. Please post on here if you would like to do a demo or if there is a demo you would like to see and I will try to find someone to do it. I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Good to see we have a date confirmed. I guess I need to work on some castings so I can remember how to do it.
I will also have a "nice door prize" donated by Charlie (NewLondon88). This is if I don't keep it for myself! :eek:

Casting demo may consist of procedures information more than an actual casting due to the time constraints of curing, etc.

Mac

Are we going to have a table set up to sell blanks, kits and other stuff. I can bring a table or three, to put items on. if there is room.

Mac

I am going to have some items for sale at the meeting. Some will be to big to bring, but anybody that is interested I will load up and bring.
1. table top band saw with extra blade
2. scroll saw with stand
3. pen vise
4. pen kits 10 count
5. keychain kits 10 count
6. pen blanks wood
7. big wood- cedar,walnut, mesquite, elm,black gum maybe some more.

If any interest in either saw or big wood I need to know before the meeting so I can bring.

8. pocket watch kits
9. letter openers
10. watch kits
11. yo-yo kits
After thinking awhile will add to list.
12. detachable key chains
13. secret or toothpick holder key rings
14. key ring whistles
15. bracelet helpers
16. sea urchins
17. slimeline kits gold, black enamel, 308 kits and serias
18. crush grinder mechanisms
19. 2 baracuda 2 bodies, one is sold, comes with screws,allen wrench and chuck tool $100. each
20. compact knife key rings
21. slimeline clips - american flag, baseball, football, carbine rifle, 30 30 rifle, cross, jonah, medical, and deer head all gold plated.
If anybody is interested in something before the meeting I will come up with a price.

Last edited:

Phunky_2003

Mac,

I may be interested in the kits. I am sending alot to my brother in Iraq to give out. Depending on what they are. I'll also be interested in the key chain kits.

I may bring some stuff also. Anybody interested in the purse hangers? I still have 12 or so left.... I'll bring some casting Ive been working on.

Also this big wood. Is it slabs or what? I got a cnc I could maybe use some of it, but dont have a planer or anything yet.....

Mac

Mac,

I may be interested in the kits. I am sending alot to my brother in Iraq to give out. Depending on what they are. I'll also be interested in the key chain kits.

I may bring some stuff also. Anybody interested in the purse hangers? I still have 12 or so left.... I'll bring some casting Ive been working on.

Also this big wood. Is it slabs or what? I got a cnc I could maybe use some of it, but dont have a planer or anything yet.....

I will have to go threw all my kits and see what I have.
The big wood is mostly round chunks. I do have some boards but not much, bubinga, zebra, soft maple, purple heart, black walnut, and paduk.

traderdon55

I have sent an e-mail to everyone that I have on my e-mail list regarding our meeting April 30th. If I have missed anyone just post or e-mail me and I will get you on the list to send directions to. We have time for two or three more people to do demo's if anyone would like to volunteer.

sol92258

April 30th just may in fact be open for me, at the moment at least.

However, I also have to regrettably announce I have not been able to make any sawdust since Thanksgiving, been so incredibly busy and behind the 8-ball it really has me kinda sad.

I'd like to come though, so I hope nothing comes up for that weekend

traderdon55

Jim, I hope you can make it. I know about being busy as I have only had time to make one pen since the first of the year. I hope to get out there this week as I have promised two pens to someone and should have already had them made.

traderdon55

Meeting update. Several people have e-mailed they are attending. So far on the pot luck lunch we have three people bringing desserts and one doing chicken. We still need ideas and volunteers for demo's. If there is something you want to learn let me know so that I can find someone to demo it.

Rangertrek

Mac & Don, I will not be able to attend the meeting next week. :mad: I will be in Colorado Springs to attend a funeral. My best friend from high school and college died of a heart attack. :mad::mad:

Obviously won't be able to help with the casting demo. Maybe you can find a replacement person to help with the demo. Sorry for the late notice. I will send a door prize (mold) :biggrin: donated by NewLondon. PM me with an address.

I was really looking forward to attending this meeting. Sorry guys, now all I can do is look forward to the next one. :rolleyes:

Phunky_2003

Mac & Don, I will not be able to attend the meeting next week. :mad: I will be in Colorado Springs to attend a funeral. My best friend from high school and college died of a heart attack. :mad::mad:

Obviously won't be able to help with the casting demo. Maybe you can find a replacement person to help with the demo. Sorry for the late notice. I will send a door prize (mold) :biggrin: donated by NewLondon. PM me with an address.

I was really looking forward to attending this meeting. Sorry guys, now all I can do is look forward to the next one. :rolleyes:

I can take over the casting demo, I had planned on backing up and helping share my knowledge with it anyway. I will bring more stuff to help with demo...

I ran out of resin hopefully I will recieve my next shipment before the meeting, if not I can run locally and get another resin.

Sorry to hear about your friend, take care and be safe. My prayers are with you and your friends family.

I can bring some donuts or whatever else is needed just let me know.

traderdon55

Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been so busy I have not been online for a couple of days. Everyone knows that being there for your friends family is way more important than a penturning meeting. I have sent you a PM. James ,thank you for stepping up as I know very little about casting and donuts would be great as no one has mentioned them yet. As already posted our host is doing hot dogs and so far we have three people doing desserts. Items that I can think of still needed would be like chips,drinks,or anything that you can think of that goes good with hot dogs. I will be e-mailing everyone attending directions and phone numbers by wendsday at the latest. If you are coming and don't recieve directions by wendsday let me know.

sol92258

Uggh, I just knew this would happen...doubt I'm going to make it to this one, some other stuff came up yesterday, and I'm likely to be busy Saturday.

It was going to be difficult enough to make it that way with as it was anyway, since we're down to one vehicle now, and it'll be months before I can save up and replace the engine in the second vehicle.

Hopefully next time

traderdon55

Everything is falling into place for the meeting saturday. Directions were sent to everyone yesterday. If you are coming and did not get directions let me know. John is doing hot dogs,several people are bringing chips and drinks,and three people are bringing dessert. As for door prizes Rangertek has sent me a resin saver mold he recieved from NewLondon88,Mac is donating a couple of Craft Suppy $10.00 gift certificates,and there will be some wood blanks as well. We have people coming from as far away as Dallas,Tx and Little Rock,Arkansas,so we should have a good attandence. Seven of the people coming have never been to our meetings before so hopefully we can all learn something from each other. Right now planned demo's include Mac doing turning between centers and Ca finish, John doing a coffee scoop,Art doing a pine cone pen,and the one everyone is wanting to see James(phunky_2003) is doing a casting demo.I will be assisting with the casting demo but James has much more experience than I do. If anyone has any last minute ideas just let as know. See yall saturday.

Phunky_2003

Here are some pens made with the castings from the meeting.

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 011a.jpg
    011a.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 257
Top Bottom