Application cloth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Aside from paper towels or cheesecloth I'm looking for something to use with Tru-Oil. Suggestions? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

For walnut with TruOIl finish I wet sand. I will have at least 2 coats of finish by the time I start applying off the lathe. On my last 2 grits, of sandpaper I wet sand, wait a day and then wet sand the last grit. Wait a day, and apply as many coats as I want with a day between coats.

monophoto

I normally use either paper towel or toilet paper to apply finishes.

But another option are the 'microfiber' polishing cloths sold at Harbor Freight. From time to time, there is a coupon to get a free package of these. They aren't really microfiber (more like terry, in my opinion), but I have found that they do a nice job of wiping an oil finish after it has had few minutes to soak in but before it starts curing.

WriteON

The problem is Me. I don't think I'm sanding finely enough. Other wise no issues applying Tru to anything. Im working on a cane. I saturated my glove covered hand and applied.

dogcatcher

Search Frank Whiton Classic Gunstock Finish. His method is time consuming, but the end result is amazing and the customer pays for the time . I used a similar method on collectable game calls. On a field grade call, it was a dip in my oil finish, wait 15 minutes wipe and let dry 24 hours, another hand wiped on coat, and maybe a third coat, Week of cure time then buff and wax.

Ultravapor

I was trying to figure this out myself recently for doing my last step of polishing with PlastX. And then I noticed my wife had these cotton make up squares from amazon. 7 bucks for 1,000 lint free cotton squares.

Top Bottom