Apple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hubert H

Hubert H

My son-in-law brought me a piece from a dead apple tree he had planted as a teenager. He asked if I could find anything in it for a pen. Two things, one I was very happy with the color from a piece that had three limbs coming out of one area. Second, I was surprised how hard Apple wood is. I looked up the Janka hardness – it is 1730 lb. compared to Red Oak which is 1,290 lb. Keep learning something new for me.

Attachments

• #1 apple.jpg
    #1 apple.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 152
  • #2 Apple.jpg
    #2 Apple.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 139
  • #3 Apple.jpg
    #3 Apple.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hubert H

It's hard, but I've always found it turns nicely. I've made a variety of things from it over the years.
Jeff, it did turn nice but it was my first piece of Apple and I was surprised that it was so hard. I don't know why but I just thought Apple would be soft.

TDahl

Wow. I didn't realize that apple was that nice. That could have been entered in the pretty wood contest.

Painfullyslow

Beautiful work! I love that piece of Apple and like many here, I had no idea that it could be that nice. I have two dead apple trees in my back yard which I plan on removing this spring...you can be sure that I will be taking a closer look at it now.

Hubert H

Beautiful work! I love that piece of Apple and like many here, I had no idea that it could be that nice. I have two dead apple trees in my back yard which I plan on removing this spring...you can be sure that I will be taking a closer look at it now.
Michael, this branch was about 2-3"s diamiter with two small branches coming out of it on either side. It surprised me. Tim wanted another pen but the rest of the branch didn't have anything near that nice. I was lucky.

Top Bottom