Apollo convertible pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

My goal was to have four of these in a display. My learning curve for these pens has not reached where I'd like to achieve. I killed an amboyna burl today 😢. Oh well, I'll get it. Luckily, Kate Harrow sells parts for the kits individually - a great idea more vendors should employ. This allow the convertible option and helps recover for screw ups.

Diagonal bocote, Italian olive wood and cocobolo made it to the finish line.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3960.jpeg
    IMG_3960.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 91
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Beautiful Pens. I really need to start that learning curve myself. I already have the kits and mandrels and even a set of stepped drill bits from Rick Herrell. Very nicely done! I can only hope I will be able to produce pens as nice as these. - Dave

mmayo

Beautiful Pens. I really need to start that learning curve myself. I already have the kits and mandrels and even a set of stepped drill bits from Rick Herrell. Very nicely done! I can only hope I will be able to produce pens as nice as these. - Dave
Be careful. Though I really like anything Rick Herrell makes- the step drills might need to be adjusted. The converter does not fit without a bit more drilling.

mmayo

I apologize to Rick Herrell for saying that his drill bits might need adjustment. There are several other possibilities that could have prevented the converter from fitting. Excess glue (my fault) or just a fatter converter could be at fault.

Several folks/businesses on this site are bulletproof:

Ed from Exotic Blanks
CSUSA
Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods
Rick Herrell
JohnU John Underwood
Tim McKinzie ?
Kate Harrow

I spend most of my money with them because they always make it right either the first time or if asked later.

derekdd

Those look great to me. That Bocote is especially pretty.

This is my next new venture in pen making, I think.

You're right about Ed. I placed an order yesterday and it shipped out this morning.

rixstix

I apologize to Rick Herrell for saying that his drill bits might need adjustment. There are several other possibilities that could have prevented the converter from fitting. Excess glue (my fault) or just a fatter converter could be at fault.

Several folks/businesses on this site are bulletproof:

Ed from Exotic Blanks
CSUSA
Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods
Rick Herrell
JohnU John Underwood
Tim McKinzie ?
Kate Harrow

I spend most of my money with them because they always make it right either the first time or if asked later.

I think Kate posted recently that the latest converters were a bit larger diameter, requiring a larger diameter.

Top Bottom