Anything you want to ask?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Are there any issues or questions any you would like to ask the membership in the form of a poll. I'm pretty sure that I will be done after the 6th one. Now is the time to ask about things Bash related while it is still fresh in everyone's mind.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
How about a general question like: Do we really need to change things? or What do you think we need, small tweaks or total revamp?

mbroberg

Because you won't get any answers you can use. One person will say one thing, the next five people will bring up five more things and the sixth will say the first is full of ****.

We already know what the debated issues are. We need specific answers to specific issues which calls for specific questions.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I did not say it needed to be a discussion, just a simple vote of two choices. If members can't do that, no amount of change will make a difference.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After the general comments about the missing ugly pen contest, do we want to ask if there are other contest suggestions? Old revamped or new ideas?

There were comments that we miss the banter. How would you propose we reinstill "banter"? If the pens are shown earlier, you still don't know the maker and we ask you not to comment to sway the voting----where is the opportunity for banter??
What other ideas do you have to encourage the "camaraderie" that some say is missing?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Referring to the camaraderie, there was some "banter" surrounding the contest threads. Should we attempt to expand these contests? Are prizes necessary, or is it just the fun of winning?

mbroberg

I did not say it needed to be a discussion, just a simple vote of two choices. If members can't do that, no amount of change will make a difference.

I didn't say it needed to be a discussion either. I am saying that if you ask a general question you will get general answers, which are worthless.

Do things need to be changed? Yes or no. Yes wins. OK now we are left to find out WHAT needs to be changed.

I pay close attention to the posts that people make. I see what people disagree about. Several issues are recurring. Many people want it one way, others want it another way. I want to know what the MAJORITY wants because you can satisfy everybody. I am trying to satisfy the majority.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forum Runner

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
no amount of change will make a difference.
We changed things up dramatically this year because of complaints the previous year to satisfy the "majority". Each and every year the "majority" will most likely change, and so goes the never ending cycle of complaints. I do my best to put rules in place to satisfy the "majority". Having been involved in facilitating numerous types of "contests" and tournaments I do know you will never satisfy that elusive "majority", is it is an ever-changing entity.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In most instances, these days a "majority" is 50.4 or 5 percent.

In a group like IAP, the age and income of the members varies substantially, so it is unlikely there will be a 66% or better "consensus".

But, it can't hurt to listen to the membership.

It's even POSSIBLE that the members will LEARN and change their minds.

For example, if they wanted the pictures "held" and presented all at once, they may NOW see the "downside" and decide they liked the old way better. I admit it is unlikely, but given evidence that the theory had holes, when put in practice, they COULD see why the old way was preferred.

OR not.

Last edited:

mbroberg

Concept question: smaller, tighter bash with less prizes, but no sponsorships, or bigger, all-in bash with more and more contests...

Did members like the sponsorships and associated better prizes, or was it more distracting than helpful?

Take a look at question #6. Does that cover it? If not, how can it be revised to reflect what you are asking?

mbroberg

In most instances, these days a "majority" is 50.4 or 5 percent.

In a group like IAP, the age and income of the members varies substantially, so it is unlikely there will be a 66% or better "consensus".

But, it can't hurt to listen to the membership.

It's even POSSIBLE that the members will LEARN and change their minds.

For example, if they wanted the pictures "held" and presented all at once, they may NOW see the "downside" and decide they liked the old way better. I admit it is unlikely, but given evidence that the theory had holes, when put in practice, they COULD see why the old way was preferred.

OR not.

As of right now here is how the members are answering the questions asked so far. I wish I knew how many ACTIVE members we had. The difference between the number of members who voted and the number of ACTIVE members would give us an idea of how many members don't care how we do things. It's still early and these numbers might change dramatically. But right now the leaders are right around that 66% mark.

How Should The IAP Decide Contest Skill Levels?

116 votes cast.
Number of pens turned 11 votes 9.48%
Length of IAP Membership 1 vote 0.86%
Length of time turning 6 votes 5.17%
Self Assessment (The member places himself at the level he believes is appropriate) 78 votes 67.24%
Other (Please post your idea or PM it to mbroberg) 20 votes 17.24%

Should each Bash activity have it's own forum?
90 votes cast

Yes 66 votes 73.33%
No 24 votes 26.67%

When should contest entry photos be displayed?
65 votes cast

Photos should be hidden from public view until all entries can be displayed at the same time 42 votes 64.62%
Photos should be posted as soon as they are received 23 votes 35.38%

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,
If that trend continues, it indicates that a majority of members favor the procedures of the last bash.

Yet, you have been concerned, because you are getting "PM's that favor a different approach". I fear you will ALWAYS get PM's of that type--no matter WHAT you are doing. It is good of you to "lend them your ear", but it also is fairly substantial proof that you can't please ALL the people and a few that are displeased will turn into "squeaky wheels", which will generate PM's.

Every new thing we try could "work" or "not work". When you find a process that pleases over 2/3 of the respondents---ya dun gud!!!

mbroberg

Mike,
If that trend continues, it indicates that a majority of members favor the procedures of the last bash.

Yet, you have been concerned, because you are getting "PM's that favor a different approach". I fear you will ALWAYS get PM's of that type--no matter WHAT you are doing. It is good of you to "lend them your ear", but it also is fairly substantial proof that you can't please ALL the people and a few that are displeased will turn into "squeaky wheels", which will generate PM's.

Every new thing we try could "work" or "not work". When you find a process that pleases over 2/3 of the respondents---ya dun gud!!!

I agree with everything you said.:eek:

I am well aware that I will always get PMs from squeeky wheels. I choose to not blanketly accept what they are saying, rather I will put it to the test.

I'm not under any illusion that my attempts at finding majority concensus on issues is fool-proof and I reaslize that if I were to run these same polls immediately before next years Bash the answers might be different. The membership demographics are constantly changing and opinions about the "Best" way of doing things are fluid.

Armed with the results of these polls I at least have SOMETHING, other than a gut feeling or speculation, to back up decisions I make about these issues. It may not be much, but I bet it will be more that what the squeeky wheels have.:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I totally agree with your modus operandus.

And it is reassuring to know we are pleasing MOST of the people, MOST of the time. Can't do MUCH better than that!!

Top Bottom