Anyone using metal clays?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I'm thinking about doing some experimenting with torch-fired metal clays (sliver, gold, copper?) for making decorative elements, clips, cap rings, etc. Curious if anyone has experience doing this. I'm teaching myself urushi finishing and I need another money burning activity to occupy myself during the long curing times between lacquer applications.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Do a search on the site. I believe inactive member Texatdurango did some work with them a few years ago. Don't do the search on his name though as he had about 4500 posts. I see that Bob in SF has done some stuff recently as well.

Bill

FGarbrecht

Do a search on the site. I believe inactive member Texatdurango did some work with them a few years ago. Don't do the search on his name though as he had about 4500 posts. I see that Bob in SF has done some stuff recently as well.

Bill
I saw Bob in SF had a post but missed the Texatdurango contributions. Will search again, thanks

FGarbrecht

If I remember correctly, it shrinks as you fire it, so take that into account.
Yeah, one of the PMC suppliers has a castable material to make heat-stable forms to prevent the ring from shrinking to much. Apparently after casting/firing you just put it in water and the form melts away.

Cwalker935

I have done some stuff with torchable metal clay, mainly rollstoppers. This one was a little more complicated.

Cwalker935

Another rollstopper

FGarbrecht

Another rollstopper
Looks cool! How did you attach the rollstops to the pen?

Top Bottom