Anyone used this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

I was browsing Woodcraft's website and came across this and became intrigued. it would solve a lot of the problems I've had with dulling of trimmers. Ahs anyone out there used this sort of barrel trimmer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I bought the cutter head only at the last AAW meeting a few weeks ago. Since I trim 20-30-40 blanks at a time for the Visually Impaired Woodturners project I thought it would be helpful.

BUT, I did not buy the individual pilot reamers. The reamer function I don't need, I just need an appropriate dimension rod for the tubes. I'll make them myself out of delrin that I already have.

I have not used it yet.

KenB259

I have one. It works great on heavy dense blanks. Doesn't work very well on softer wood. I never use it on segmented blanks, except once, it ruined the segmented blank. One tip when using it, you have to introduce it to the blank very slowly, painfully slow, once it starts cutting you can speed up a bit. Drill rpm is an issue as well,it seems to work best for me at 1000 rpm. I now square up my segmented blanks with a squaring jig and disc sander. Heavy dense non segmented blanks though the woodpecker pen mill is my go to method.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

I thought it was a good idea. I don't do that many pens but I think (scary, isn't it?) for production work or volume work as Mark does, it would be good. KenB259, thanks for your comments from your experience with the pen mill.

Top Bottom