Anyone try to spalt their own wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Federman

Not sure if this is the right forum but thought it would be ok to post here. Just got a little informational paper with some wood I bought about spalting your own wood, has anyone tried this....

Includes using beer......I am sold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I do it all the time with Pecan and Hackberry. I have a "spalt pile" where I basically put short logs that i want to spalt. I then bury it all with sawdust from my dust collection system and spray it down with water. Then simply forget about it and let it do its thing. After a number of months I will dig out a piece and cut it up to see what it looks like. After a few times of doing this you get a pretty good feel for how well it is spalted just by looking at the outside. I have some that has been just phenomenal!

sparhawk

I was trying to show a couple of friends at work what spalting was. One of them has just built a portable sawmill and is looking for pen blank and bowl blanks wood for me.Probably get some of it free since it will be leftovers from his sawmill.These are older country guys and i brought them a piece of spalted wood i found on the roadside to show them. They both looked at each other and said" That theres rot boy. Dont know about spaldin but that theres rot.You want rotten wood? I told them if the rot looked like that, bring it on.the one guy also told me the other day (I s**t a Gnome. Found out after some serious talk time he was asying I shoulda known.>)

Dario

I've seen some of Curtis' spalted wood and would highly recommend his method (can't argue with the results),

In my little experience, I would add that a newbie should read Russ' tutorial and consider the following for better results especially if you don't have the time and space like Curtis:
a) start with wet/green wood.
b) use light colored wood (most dark wood are difficult to spalt)
c) give your pile at least 2 months to spalt. Some wood may take a year or longer depending on the condition.
d) use fertilizer (like easy grow or horse manure) to speed up the process.
e) add green leaves to your pile (veggie scraps work great), rotting fruit may also be added to the mix. It stinks but onions work wonders!
f) avoid too much water esp if you are using plastic containers...it will lead to rot.

Remember that even perfect spalting may lead to rot or mush also if left for too long.

Good luck!

Here is my recent spalting piece. It is small and only being done on a bucket but those white "fuzzies" are doing their magic right now (I hope) lol.

P1040158a.jpg

railrider1920

I know I didn't ask about it, but thanks for the links and recipes for spalting.

I was wondering something, I was just going through a wood pile that has been sitting on the ground for probably about 2 years. I found a few pieces that have some mold or fungus growing on them. Some of it was yellowish orange some of it was whitish I think. Is it possible that these pieces are spalted because of the fungus on them?
Thanks

GaryMGg

Rob,
We live in Florida.
Shhhh, this is top-secret: to get spalting, we don't have to do anything.
The trick here is gettin' to the wood before it spalts. :D;)

airrat

Dario I think something winked at you from that bucket.

Little reminder to anyone with any respiratory issues, this is dealing with molds. Protect yourself when doing this. I opened a bag I had forgotten about(didn't know what was in it) ended up being Flamed Box Elder that was wet when I got it. I had a coughing fit for hours from it, the next time I had on a respirator.

louisbry

I have had good success spalting maple and hackberry by putting logs upright in the shade of my woods. I put dirt on the top and covered with a black plastic bag. After about 3 or 4 months it came out very good. This was in the summertime. I now have some hackberry I want to spalt and will try the same thing. Has anyone spalted wood in the wintertime?

railrider1920

Gary,
I guess what I ment is the pieces that have the yellowish orange, would that be spalting as well as the white stuff? I know what you mean. I was hoping to find some good pieces in that pile. much is burnable, but I don't know about turnable. I found a few pieces of split fire wood in my yard that were on the ground and next to a pile of moldy dog crap (I need to get the kids some good glasses). There is some white and orange fungus growing on them. I put out some more around it. Hopefully it will work.

Dario,
You might think about adding a few pieces to that bag so that they are well established when you take out the pieces that are in there now, that way you don't have to start over from scratch. Maybe it will work out.

Top Bottom