Anyone made a dedicated finishing "lathe"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Kicking around ideas of how to mount up and power a mandrel off the lathe. I'd like to be able to have one of us doing finish work while the other is turning. Really don't want to buy another lathe right now.

Thinking about one of my old RC motors geared way down to get a target speed and belt drive it but would prefer something I can power from ac instead of dc.

Just curious if anyone has thought of this before.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Do a google search on hand drill lathe and you will find lots of info. There is even a commercial lathe that uses a drill motor for the power.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Kicking around ideas of how to mount up and power a mandrel off the lathe. I'd like to be able to have one of us doing finish work while the other is turning. Really don't want to buy another lathe right now.

Thinking about one of my old RC motors geared way down to get a target speed and belt drive it but would prefer something I can power from ac instead of dc.

Just curious if anyone has thought of this before.

Penultimate

I had an old mini lathe sold by Craftsman (and Jet) that I set up to do the finishing. Since it only had three speeds it didn't work for me. Also, I had a lot of run out on it. I got rid of it.

Bree

I use a Rockler Excelsior solely to hold a Beall triple buffer for finishing pens. Works great for that purpose.
:wink::wink::wink:

Mike D

If you ran a hand drill for long periouds of time wouldn't you run the risk of burning up the brushes? What about a motor from a box fan? They are usually 110 volts, designed to run for long preriouds of time and it lends it's self to reduction either a belt drive or what about a speed controller like is used on a router table?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you ran a hand drill for long periouds of time wouldn't you run the risk of burning up the brushes? What about a motor from a box fan? They are usually 110 volts, designed to run for long preriouds of time and it lends it's self to reduction either a belt drive or what about a speed controller like is used on a router table?

How long do you normally spend finishing??:confused::confused::confused:

That motor will last a LOT LONGER than my legs and back!:eek::eek:

NC Wood Art

I am purchased a cheap 6" bench grinder & use 6 " polishing pads on it with no guards on it, if you are tight on space just buy a low cost bench grinder stand. I purchased a 6" bench grinder for about $40 new few years ago & the stand was like $30 at Harbor freight. Polishing pads can be purchased at Sears, or hardware store cheaply. not as nice a s a premade mandrel with pads on a lathe but if you got a bench grinder you don't use much convert it.

Top Bottom