Anyone looking to sell a ton of pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SecLoSo

Looking to buy a ton of pen kits, opening my own retail store selling finished pens (yay!) and am looking to buy a ton of kits to help build inventory, kits will be split between going towards free classes / charity events to teach woodturning while the other will go towards the galleries inventory, please comment what kinds of kits you have =) looking to get around 500 in total and looking for bundles of about 20 or more per. Looking for pen kits and project kits =) just comment what you have! Please note if it is a discontinued kit then I will not purchase it unless it comes with the bushings… I really dont want to have to hunt down discontinued bushings again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I really dont want to have to hunt down discontinued bushings again
You don't always need bushings. With the money you save buying old kits without bushings, you can buy a good digital caliper or micrometer, measure your hardware and turn to dimension. You should be doing that anyway because there's a tolerance on everything, bushings wear, etc.

its_virgil

You don't always need bushings. With the money you save buying old kits without bushings, you can buy a good digital caliper or micrometer, measure your hardware and turn to dimension. You should be doing that anyway because there's a tolerance on everything, bushings wear, etc.
Its OK to add this article to the library. I thought it was there but I could not find it.
Don

Attachments

• penturning without bushings.pdf
    16.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Drewby108

Only thing to be careful with here is how much force you use on the tailstock. Too much and you stretch the tube opening and potentially crack your blank.

Whoops. That was meant to be a reply to its_virgil

its_virgil

Only thing to be careful with here is how much force you use on the tailstock. Too much and you stretch the tube opening and potentially crack your blank.

Whoops. That was meant to be a reply to its_virgil
Over tightening the quill and distorting the ends of the tube or cracking the blank is addressed in my article. Thanks for the comment and bringing that point to our attention. Doesn't hurt to remind us.
Don

Drewby108

Over tightening the quill and distorting the ends of the tube or cracking the blank is addressed in my article. Thanks for the comment and bringing that point to our attention. Doesn't hurt to remind us.
Don
I saw that when I read the article, but I always warn about turning between centers because I've ruined multiple projects by overtightening the quill. Wood and metal.

Apparently I can put a lot of torque on the handwheel of my machine lathe and push aluminum rod back into the chuck jaws lol. Screwed up my length more than once.

SecLoSo

Not as much for me but mainly for people Im teaching like I mentioned, I found its very easy for them to go too far.

Top Bottom