Anyone know of any good tools to make beads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SecLoSo

Looking to make some even beads from cutoffs for penturning and was wondering if anyone knows of some specials tools just for making them? Have my skew and other carbide/HSS tools but just want something simple to make the same sized beads consistently and quickly. Any advice would be great thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Barth

Looking to make some even beads from cutoffs for penturning and was wondering if anyone knows of some specials tools just for making them? Have my skew and other carbide/HSS tools but just want something simple to make the same sized beads consistently and quickly. Any advice would be great thank you!
The best beading tools are from D-way

bsshog40

I have set of 3 beaders. Quit using them after a while because I couldn't figure out a good way of sharpening them. Lol

dogcatcher

I made a mandrel using 1/4 inch rod about 5 inches long. Drill one end and tapped as deep as I could for 8-32 hex head screws. I drill the blank with #19 drill bit. The screw holds the blank on the end of the mandrel. The hex head works with the point of the live center for the tailstock. The other end you can mount either in drill chuck or collet.

To get matching beads takes PRACTICE. LOTS OF PRACTICE.

RunnerVince

I have the Benjamin's Best beading tools, and wouldn't recommend. Not sure if it's tool quality or operator error, but I've had very poor luck. Even going excruciatingly slowly, I get chipout on about half the beads I've done. I can get a better result with a skew and sandpaper (I know, I know!). What I lose in consistency, I gain by having all the beads on a project be whole, without chipout.

It's immensely frustrating to have three perfect beads and then have a chuck chip off the last bead.

howsitwork

I have the Benjamin's Best beading tools, and wouldn't recommend. Not sure if it's tool quality or operator error, but I've had very poor luck. Even going excruciatingly slowly, I get chipout on about half the beads I've done. I can get a better result with a skew and sandpaper (I know, I know!). What I lose in consistency, I gain by having all the beads on a project be whole, without chipout.

It's immensely frustrating to have three perfect beads and then have a chuck chip off the last bead.
suspect your cutting too deep. You don't want the centre of the beading tool to make contact with the wood. Sounds weird but believe me it works. Make the bead almost to depth Wiggling the tools alightly as you go so give a little clearance and prevent overheating the tips.
Stop JUST before the bead reaches the centre of the curve and gently sand the bead. You get consistency and nice beads

RunnerVince

suspect your cutting too deep. You don't want the centre of the beading tool to make contact with the wood. Sounds weird but believe me it works. Make the bead almost to depth Wiggling the tools alightly as you go so give a little clearance and prevent overheating the tips.
Stop JUST before the bead reaches the centre of the curve and gently sand the bead. You get consistency and nice beads
I will give that a try next time I want to do a bead.

Top Bottom