Anyone know about old ships?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplace

What do you call the the carved pieces on the bow of the old ships. Most of the ones I have seen in books are of women. Anyone know what this is called?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

I used to know... actually I read about that here... probably from you... it's been awhile.

They say the mind is the second thing to go...
...I forget the first! [:I]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks for the backup Gerry.
I didn't know about the "rode"
There is a nother name for a "rope" that hasn't been mentioned do you know what it is?
(hint a much smaller boat)

Tea Clipper

Whoops![:I] You guys are right! [:I]
I looked up "rope" in the book 'The Art of Rigging' by George Biddlecombe and heres what he has to say:

Rope - All cordage in general, above one inch in circumference, which bear different names, according to their various uses.

He then names a few ropes, I won't bother to detail them (too much typing), so here's a list:

Bolt Rope; Buoy Rope; Breast Rope; Davit Rope; Entering Ropes; Guest Rope; Heel Rope; Passing Rope; Ring Rope; Slip Rope; Tiller Rope; and Top Rope.

He doesn't metion Bell Rope, but I'm sure his list is not exhaustive so I don't question it.

gerryr

Oops, I forgot to mention halyards which are not sheets or lines. Halyards hoist the sails. Anyone know the derivation of that term?

emackrell

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Oops, I forgot to mention halyards which are not sheets or lines. Halyards hoist the sails. Anyone know the derivation of that term?

Just a shortening of HAUL YARD. On the square riggers you hoisted the sails by hauling the yard up the mast (with the sail attached). Name has stuck though the technology has changed.

cheers Eileen [8D]

I was in the mechanize navy and not a member of the deck gang, so most of the names for ropes and lines escape me, I do remember that were "standing line" and "running lines" and I think the anchor line was the "hawser" and seem to rember the eye on the anchor was also call a hawser.

gerryr

Originally posted by emackrell
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Oops, I forgot to mention halyards which are not sheets or lines. Halyards hoist the sails. Anyone know the derivation of that term?

Just a shortening of HAUL YARD. On the square riggers you hoisted the sails by hauling the yard up the mast (with the sail attached). Name has stuck though the technology has changed.

cheers Eileen [8D]

The old term for sail was yard, so they were literally hauling the yards up to the yard arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom