Anyone interested in a Zoom virtual get together?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

My Woodturning club and several others in the area are starting to use Zoom for virtual meetings. Several woodturners have started using Zoom to do virtual demonstrations too!

Zoom is a way to hold virtual meetings and get togethers. You can participate with just a microphone and speakers (or headset) but for the full effect a webcam is suggested. There are clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux (Preferred). There are clients available for Android and Ios mobile devices. The larger the screen size the easier it is to use.

Who would be interested in a meet-up using zoom?

The software is free, just register. Anyone can host meetings even with the free version.

Opinions?
Suggestions?
Comments?
PM me if interested with a time you would be available and I will PM you meeting details.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I join in on a couple of Zoom meetings a week in my work, one local with about 10 members and one with some (about 30) of co-workers across our State . I agree with the way you are doing it - by sending the invitation through PM instead of open posting.

Randy, I would be willing to join but knowing that I am not of your immediate region, give them first priority.

Do you have the paid App (unlimited time) or the Free (40 minute limit) one?

JimB

Randy, just an FYI. Zoom has not lifted the 40 minute restriction on the free account. They do, occasionally, allow the meeting to go more than 40 minutes and a notice will pop up in the last 10 minutes that it will be allowed to continue but this is more likely not to happen.

I have the free version (along with several other people in my local turning club) and my local club has the paid version. I'm the treasurer and we bought the paid version because the free one was not allowing meeting to go past 40 minutes on a regular basis. It was actually very rare they allowed more than 40 minutes.

Curly

I'll give it a shot. Already had a few meetings with some of the local wood turners. Frost time took most of a hour to get everyone (under 10) to figure out how get connected and get their cameras and microphones figured out. I have a Mac and had no problem. The second time went without a hitch.

Kenny Durrant

I think this is a great idea. I've been a part of some Zoom meetings but the max was 9 people so far. I would like to match some faces with the names and I like the idea of being able to ask questions as well as hearing others ask. They might have something in mind I haven't or never will think of.

mick

Randy, just an FYI. Zoom has not lifted the 40 minute restriction on the free account. They do, occasionally, allow the meeting to go more than 40 minutes and a notice will pop up in the last 10 minutes that it will be allowed to continue but this is more likely not to happen.

I have the free version (along with several other people in my local turning club) and my local club has the paid version. I'm the treasurer and we bought the paid version because the free one was not allowing meeting to go past 40 minutes on a regular basis. It was actually very rare they allowed more than 40 minutes.
Our small group at church uses the free version to meet on Sunday mornings. What we do, one of us schedules a meeting starting at 9:30 then someone else will schedule another at the time the first one ends. This gives us plenty of time for our class without having to get the paid version.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Curly

When the group I was in ran out of time we just resent the link in the original email and the host let us back in for another 40 minutes of jabbering.

Charlie_W

We have 4 woodturning clubs within an hour+ drive. Two have already done their own IRD (Interactive Remote Demo) through Zoom to their membership at home.
Another club which is closest to me is almost there. Another club member and myself are working on this as we can. We collected the club A/V equipment, took inventory and the main item we need is an HDMI to USB capture device....on order and supposedly will be here late this coming week. Most all these types of things, switchers, capture devices, web cams, etc, are not available, sold out or on back order.
We have 3 camcorders and a video switcher, have gotten internet to the shop and are almost there. Hopefully soon.
Another club has a sub group that would get together almost every week for a social time. We had a small Zoom last week and plan to continue.
It is nice to see and hear our friends and family members.

Thanks Randy, I will watch this thread for a PenTurners Zoom !

randyrls

OK The meeting will be Thursday, April 23rd at 8:30pm Eastern Daylight Time. This will be a familiarization session with the Zoom application. I will send a PM to everyone who expressed an interest. The PM will have a link to join the meeting and a Zoom cheat sheet for Windows. It will go out by the end of today. At the meeting we can choose a topic for the next meeting (Saturday April 25?)

Charlie_W

Once you have the attendees lined up you will need to send them a password as well as the invite, at least thats how my first use of Zoom was like.

We did a Zoom Meeting with a fellow turner this afternoon and Zoom put the meeting ID and Password in the email....just click on the link to join.

TonyL

I will be out of town, but love the idea. I don't know if someone wrote above, but there used to be number of user limits. I bought the cheap subscription for my company 2 years ago. Maybe it has changed.

randyrls

OK; I sent a PM to everyone in this thread. This meeting will be an introduction to the Zoom program and usage. If you didn't recieve it OR if you want to join in, PM me and I will send you an invite.

randyrls

The first Zoom get together was last night. I enjoyed seeing everyone. We talked about the Zoom application and how we could use it to connect with other pen craftsmen & women.

We will have another session, on this coming Thursday April 30th at 8:30pm Eastern Daylight Savings Time.
The topic for the upcoming session is Celtic Knot Jig. Useful for cutting the Inlays and Blanks.
Tricks and Tips:
How to cut odd numbers of bands.
Making the inlays consistent.
Strengthening and Gluing the blank together.
Please PM me if you are interested in joining this session AND you do not already have the link to the meeting.

randyrls

Dale; I have a PM thread going. I will add you to the thread. Please let me know if you DO OR DO NOT receive a notification of you joining the PM.

Top Bottom