Any way to speed up alumilite cure time?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I hope to get some advice that I can't seem to find on the site. I just found out that I need to get a project done tonight that I thought I had until next week to finish. It involves label casting this morning and turning tonight. Typically once my blanks are done demolding, they still feel a little "gummy," and I wait a few days before turning. I just took one out of the pot last night and put it on the lathe. It was not successful and tended to chip very easily since it is not entirely cured yet. Is there any way to harden the blanks quicker so that I can turn them tonight? I am using alumilite clear slow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Try putting it in the oven at 10 for an hour or two. Should fix you up.

This of course assumes that everything is weighed correctly and mixed thoroughly.

Bill

RobS

from the website instruction sheet, https://www.alumilite.com/content/PDFs/Alumilite_TDS_Clear-ClearSlow_12-1-2020.pdf

1. Mold Preparation Before mixing and pouring the resin into your mold to achieve a cast resin piece there are a few things you can do to prepare your mold that will greatly enhance the physical properties and curing of your cast resin piece. The first thing you can do is to preheat your mold. Warm the mold in a conventional oven at 120-150 degrees F for 15 minutes or warm your mold in a microwave for 1 minute/lb of rubber on high. This will only warm your mold and will not affect the microwave or your mold adversely. It will however help the thin sections of your casting cure more evenly with larger sections and reduce your demold time. It will also help the resin set up uniformly to give you a consistent fully cured cast piece. (It is highly recommended to warm your molds when using the Slow Set, Water Clear, Clear, Flex, Amazing Clear Cast, or parts under a 1/2" in thickness to ensure proper curing.)

6. Post Cure After pouring thin or small parts and the resin has started to cure, it is recommended to post cure the part at 120F-140F for 1-2 hours. This will assist the resin in fully curing. Allow the part to cool down before demolding. Parts that remain soft or flexible may need a similar post cure.

RobS

You are welcome.
In the summer, i just throw them in the trunk of my car!! True story. Good luck.

bmachin

Try putting it in the oven at 10 for an hour or two. Should fix you up.

This of course assumes that everything is weighed correctly and mixed thoroughly.

Bill
Guess I didn't proofread. Meant to say 150. See that your question has already been answered though. Good luck.

Bill

Top Bottom