Any tips or idea what I am doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Hi - I have had several problems with the plastic pumps you install on gallon jugs of resin for casting. I ordered 2 pumps, one for Part A, the other for Part B.

IMG_2456.JPG

After only a couple uses, the Part A pump seized and would not pump. I end up unscrewing the pump from the bottle and pouring the resin into the mixing container. Needless to say, pouring is not as precise as pumping. I thought, OK - I got a bad pump. So I ordered another. Same thing - several uses and seized. I'm afraid to push too hard on the pump, for fear it suddenly lets loose, or worse, breaks.

I didn't think there was any maintenance or cleaning for these pumps. The only no-no was to switch them between A & B for obvious reasons.

So, did I just get a couple duds, or is there something I can do to get the pump working again, or is there a better source for these pumps? I got these from TurnTex and Exotic blanks, and I honestly can't tell which I got from which supplier.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Hi - I have had several problems with the plastic pumps you install on gallon jugs of resin for casting. I ordered 2 pumps, one for Part A, the other for Part B.

View attachment 337208

After only a couple uses, the Part A pump seized and would not pump. I end up unscrewing the pump from the bottle and pouring the resin into the mixing container. Needless to say, pouring is not as precise as pumping. I thought, OK - I got a bad pump. So I ordered another. Same thing - several uses and seized. I'm afraid to push too hard on the pump, for fear it suddenly lets loose, or worse, breaks.

I didn't think there was any maintenance or cleaning for these pumps. The only no-no was to switch them between A & B for obvious reasons.

So, did I just get a couple duds, or is there something I can do to get the pump working again, or is there a better source for these pumps? I got these from TurnTex and Exotic blanks, and I honestly can't tell which I got from which supplier.
I have had the same problem with the west systems epoxy. So what I did was to pump from each pump into a container and weigh it and printed that on a cheat sheet and done away with the pumps. Easy peezy
Lin

jrista

I suspect its drying in the pump. Have you tried sealing the nozzle on the pumps, maybe just wrap with clingwrap each time you are done?

Mortalis

My thought is the epoxy parts are too viscous for pumps. I also IMHO think you are being a bit too critical on quantities for mixing.
If you are dead set on how critical the part amounts are then I would recommend getting a couple squeeze bottles and fill them from the larger containers and use them for measuring your amounts. Also If you are being that critical I would hope you are relying on a scale and not a sight line for measure.

darrin1200

I have never used a pump for Alumilite clear slow. I would think it would be awkward holding the gallon jug over the scale and pumping it. It takes a little getting used to, but I can pour the resin quite quickly, accurate to 1g.
Even Alumilite's website says the pumps may not last long using Urethane.

KMCloonan

My thought is the epoxy parts are too viscous for pumps. I also IMHO think you are being a bit too critical on quantities for mixing.
If you are dead set on how critical the part amounts are then I would recommend getting a couple squeeze bottles and fill them from the larger containers and use them for measuring your amounts. Also If you are being that critical I would hope you are relying on a scale and not a sight line for measure.
I'm not necessarily dead set on how critical the amounts are - but everything I have been told is that you need to be fairly precise with Alumilite, and it's measured by weight, not volume, and you want to get as close to equal parts A & B as possible. Most of the videos I have watched on using Alumilite incude a weighing step using a scale for accuracy, which is the method I have always used.

I have never used a pump for Alumilite clear slow. I would think it would be awkward holding the gallon jug over the scale and pumping it. It takes a little getting used to, but I can pour the resin quite quickly, accurate to 1g.
Even Alumilite's website says the pumps may not last long using Urethane.
Thanks for the info. I have watched numerous YouTube videos about casting with Alumilite, and some even show the presenter using the pump to dispense the resin. I just assumed the pump was a standard practice for dispensing the resin. I was not aware that the Alumilite website mentions that pumps may not last long.

I suspect its drying in the pump. Have you tried sealing the nozzle on the pumps, maybe just wrap with clingwrap each time you are done?
I thought about this, but did not do anything more than wipe the nozzle to collect drips. I did not think about the resin drying out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom