Any Small Engine Repairers Here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
I am looking for a small engine repairer, or some one with the knowledge about Sthils.
I have a Stihl HS 74 hedge trimmer with a buggered carby.
mad.gif

A while ago I was given a Stihl BG 72 blower the motor worked but the plastic casing was stuffed.
They are both approx the same age.
My query is will the blower carby fit the hedge trimmer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Cleaning the carb is pretty easy and probably the cheapest option (unless by "buggered" you mean something other than gummed up). I watched a couple of youtube videos and was able to get mine going without much trouble. I'm far from an expert, but based on my quick search it doesn't look like they are interchangeable (BG72 and HS74, that is). Around here you can buy replacement carbs for about $15 shipped, not sure about how much it would be where youre at though...

farmer

Pour out old fuel , fill tank with new fuel and injector cleaner ..
clean the plug and start trying to start engine .

leehljp

Member Liaison
If it is not old fuel, and if there are other problems and you decide to get a new carb, plan on spending about $40 getting to take it to a reputable Stihl dealer and letting them set the carb for you. I ordered a new carb on my 18 year old Stihl 3 years ago (the fuel lines had cracks in it and I had difficulty starting it even when it was new. Upon getting the new carb, I couldn't find any instructions on settings and could not get it started. I took it to a local Stihl dealer and they had it running the next day. It was a matter of setting the mixture. I can do that on some small motors but the Stihl carb was a little different from the cheaper brand of home gas tools.

Sam mentioned watching YouTubes and if you can find some, use them. I didn't think about it when I swapped carbs. BYW, I purchased a new carb for mine on eBay at a reasonable price along with fuel lines and a few other things.

KLJ

If it will start and idle but not open up take out the spark arrestor and burn off the excess oil build up. They will run stronger without it but a little louder.

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
I got the hedge trimmer from work, the maintenance supervisor had taken it to the local shonk to repalce the carby.
See how he used bog where the fuel line connect to the carby (Photo 2 & 3), It leaked when went back to work, got worst as time went by, when the workshop was stunk out by fuel the supervisor condemned it. I claimed it, thinking one day I will take to a sthil dealer and get a new carby for it.
Today I went into my former chook house I saw the old blower I thought may be it will fit the hedge trimmer.

Attachments

• DSC_2131.JPG
    DSC_2131.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_2126.JPG
    DSC_2126.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_2127.JPG
    DSC_2127.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_2129.JPG
    DSC_2129.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 88

robutacion

After a lot of stuffing around trying to get it to fit, I will buy a replacement carby.

View attachment 41305

Any one know what it under black plate where the fuel line goes into?

View attachment 41306
Mate, your attachments on this post are not right, check it out.

I don't think that I would invest in an OEM Sthil Carby, there many off-market carby's that will do the job for a fraction of the dollars.

Look at these guys and see if they have any replacement for what you've got

Remove the carby and look for any model or any indication as to what it is that will help you find a replacement, there are repair kits for most carby's but you need to know what you are doing with changing the needles and adjust it.

I can't tell if it fits or not but what you need is George's Chainsaw corner 031.JPG032.JPG033.JPG
to get it worked out, capish...?

Cheers
George

KLJ

I agree with George about the aftermarket carbs, I just used one recently and it was a perfect fit and needed no adjustment and took less than ten minutes to change. My stihl blowers have another gas line that has a filter on it in the tank that is probably on the other side of that black thing. Hope you get it going soon if it bolts up and it looks like it will, I would give it a try and see what happens.

Top Bottom