Any recent problems with Mercury Medium Flex? - Not a rant.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I just attempted to contact them for the second time and left a message. I then wrote this, but there website's functionality precluded me from transmitting.

He is my issue:

Hello:

I have called twice and have not heard back. I have 3 2 oz bottles that are about 60% full. All are 6 months to 1 year old. I find no matter how much time in between coats (usually 10 minutes or more), the finish seems to be very soft or prone to softening when using my buffing wheels. I have used the buffing wheels and same curing and finish process since your product debuted (using both medium and thin flex formulas. I am sure this stuff has a life and I don't want anything that I am not entitled to beyond well finished pens. I used to use your aerosol accelerator but all cans over a 2 year period did not eject accelerator, just air. This finish is not tacky, just stop holding up to buffing. Please advise. Thank you. Tony LoBello 678 468 1409.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I tried mercury flex a while back, it became too frustrating as I was repeatedly having problems with sanding through the finish. I would reapply and then try again, sometimes refinishing a single pen 4 or 5 times. Clearly my technique was bad, but I think that the softness of the CA contributed to my difficulties. The flex CA is definitely softer. Also, flex tends to require more accelerator in my experience. Not really super helpful for your specific question, just my experience...

TonyL

Thank you Sam. I am aware of the above and its properties (and used it hundreds of times along with many other brands), but I have not experienced this before. I think it is just "old". We will see. Thx again.

Lucky2

Tony, if it's a flexible Ca, then any amount of heat or warmth from buffing will soften it. It never sets up to be a hard finish, so you should find another product that's anything but flexible. As to them not replying to an issue, that would be more than enough for me to no longer use their products.

Len.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have used flex on occasion for tubes in woods that crack easily such as snakewood. That allows enough flex for brittle woods to expand and contract more than a solid glue. As to softening when buffing, Len said it best.

TonyL

Thank you both. As I said on top, I have used with hundreds of pens and they were all finished the same way - the same buffing wheels, with the same compounds, at the same speeds and pressure. Also same number of coats, accelerator and abrasives. I just think it is old. I am going to can it. Unless any wants 3 half used bottles. Thank you for taking the time to share to experiences. :)

jttheclockman

Tony do not give up on trying to contact them. Maybe they are in lock down mode with the virus thing. I would hold onto the bottles in case they need to see them or something. Good luck finding something else that works for you.

TonyL

Tony do not give up on trying to contact them. Maybe they are in lock down mode with the virus thing. I would hold onto the bottles in case they need to see them or something. Good luck finding something else that works for you.
Thank you. They are actually less than 15 miles from me. I have actually been using GB, Stickfast, BSI, even EZ Cure, but I wanted to finish up the all the Mercury that I have. I still like Mercury, but this is the 4th time that I had this result from several different bottles. I also changed the accelerator, but that didn't help. I reached out to them months ago too. No problem. Thx!

jttheclockman

Thank you. They are actually less than 15 miles from me. I have actually been using GB, Stickfast, BSI, even EZ Cure, but I wanted to finish up the all the Mercury that I have. I still like Mercury, but this is the 4th time that I had this result from several different bottles. I also changed the accelerator, but that didn't help. I reached out to them months ago too. No problem. Thx!
It would take one problem and one alone and I am out of there. way too many products on the market. If they do not care then why should you. Good luck.

Top Bottom