Any Powermatic 90 users?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scraper_1

So I picked up a green behemoth a couple of years ago and finally spun it after a few fixes. The good news is it runs and the inboard spindle spins straight and true. Unfortunately there is a vibration. The outboard wheel, which is about 10" diameter is frozen on the spindle. Someone tried to remove it and bent it a hair. Enough to make it intolerable for fine work. I have put liquid wrench on it and it is really frozen. As a last resort I will have to cut it off, because that spindle may have to be replaced. The wheel is aluminum. I haven't tried heating it up with a torch, worth a try. Looking for advice, but also your experience with your behemoths!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

See if you can use a steering wheel puller or some other type of gear puller to help pull it off. You can usually rent one from your local auto parts store or even buy one from Harbor Freight,

Scraper_1

See if you can use a steering wheel puller or some other type of gear puller to help pull it off. You can usually rent one from your local auto parts store or even buy one from Harbor Freight,
Unfortunately it is threaded. Since the shaft is already bent I will probably put an 8 foot pipe on my biggest wrench and go for it. I'm going to try now

MPVic

Good luck - it would be great if you could salvage that machine. Depending on where the spindle is bent, you might be able to get it machined true.

Scraper_1

Good luck - it would be great if you could salvage that machine. Depending on where the spindle is bent, you might be able to get it machined true.

I'm talking myself into selling it. I planned on turning big stuff, but pens and smaller items turn out to be more my speed if you will.

Scraper_1

Well, I got the thing apart. The shaft is bent a hair, but it looks easy to remove. I am going to take it off and bring it to a machine shop in town and see how much a new one would cost to fabricate. When I get the vibration fixed I am definitely selling it. It is just ridiculous turning pens on a 1000 pound behemoth.

Charlie_W

Before you yank it apart, check on the resale value of this older lathe. I'm guessing fabricating a new spindle plus new bearings/belt will be costly and resale $ might not be enough to cover your expense.
Also, it appears to be only a 12" turning diameter so that will limit your buyers.
Good luck on whichever route you choose.

Scraper_1

Yes, I've changed my mind. I've been researching and you can spend as much as you want on restoring these things. Not my bag. I'm selling as is for best offer this summer.

Top Bottom